You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unexpected circumflex accent appears on j in small caps Calibri

Hi,

I'm seeing some odd behaviour: if I add a text box and write some words including a lower case letter j, set the font to Calibri, and turn on Small Caps in the typography panel, then the letter j is unexpectedly displayed with a circumflex accent, like Ĵ.

I've only seen this happen with Calibri font, and only with the letter j.

This does appear in print and in exports.

I am using Publisher 1.10.4 (also tested in Designer 1.10.4) on macOS Monterey 12.2. It is displayed the same both with and without hardware acceleration (I usually have this setting switched on).

Microsoft Word on the same computer (and presumably using the same underlying font file) displays normally.

Is there an odd setting that I might have triggered?

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 12.24.41 (2).png

smallcaps.afpub

Something is definitely wrong here.
All the codes behind the small caps text is wrong, not just the J.
Open the smallcaps.pdf in APub and you will see what I mean.

Could you try Export to PDF again with Subsetting Off?
I expect that will fix most of it, except the J.

What version of Calibri?
I assume it came from Office for Mac, so what version of Office?

We need some other Mac users with Office to test, to see if you have some sort of font cache issue, or other font issue.

Weird.

Word is version 16.57 (on Microsoft 365). The font itself (in home/Library/Fonts) says it is version 0.90 with a Modified date of 25 January 2005 - I've had it longer than this Office installation from a while ago when Microsoft supplied the Fonts installers as a standalone download.
I'll move it away and see if reinstalling Office helps.

Since you had a previous version of Office installed, with fonts included,
and now you have M365 in which Calibri is probably now a cloud font,
I wonder if you have some sort of font cache issue.

On Windows if you have a font actually installed it will not download the cloud font.
For example to get it to download the static cloud versions of Bahnscrift, I had to delete the  Bahnschrift variable font (which is protected).

I would check to see if Calibri is in the CloudFonts cache folder.
And I would check to see if Calibri is still installed in your normal fonts folder.

APub can see the font like it is a normally installed font, so I assume it is there.
If it was only a Cloud font, only Office apps could see it (like Word).

I cannot check all this - we need some other Mac users with Office and Calibri.

Ugh, cloud fonts, wadda nightmare.

I checked the text in your doc file and it looks OK - no odd characters.
Pasted the text into an editor and got this:

Set in Calibri without Small Caps Adjustment
The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog.

Set in Calibri with Small Caps Adjustment
The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog.

OpenType simply replaces the glyph, not the character, so that is what we should see.

I checked my Win10 Calibri (v6.23) and it does have small cap glyphs for all those characters.
Also checked v6.20 which came with Office 2019 and 2021 for Mac - looks fine.
Also checked v6.10 which came with Office 2016 for Mac - looks fine.

So the current WAG is a font cache issue and/or cloud font issue.

It seems Microsoft Word probably wasn't using the same underlying file after all, as it doesn't install its fonts into the Library directories and instead keeps separate copies of all its fonts in /Applications/Microsoft Word/Contents/Resources/DFonts/

I've copied the Calibri files out of there into ~/Library/Fonts, rebooted for good measure, and then tried Affinity again. It has worked, small caps look normal in my document now. 

So it looks like the problem was just me trying to use a font file that is about old enough to get a drivers' license.

1 hour ago, shadowphiar said:

So it looks like the problem was just me trying to use a font file that is about old enough to get a drivers' license.

Good line. 🤣
Out of curiosity, what was the old version number?

1 hour ago, shadowphiar said:

/Applications/Microsoft Word/Contents/Resources/DFonts/

What version of Office for Mac put the fonts there?
That is interesting that it is not in a normal Mac system or user font folder.

My understanding that M365 puts the cloud fonts here:
Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/FontCache/4/CloudFonts/

Microsoft Word is version 16.57 (installed with a Microsoft 365 license).  
Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/FontCache/4/CloudFonts/ does exist and contains some font files, but Calibri isn't among them (presumably the most common fonts are included in the app installer, so it never needed to be downloaded separately).

The old font file, examined in Get Info, says it is version 0.90 with a Modified date of 25 January 2005 - I can't vouch for how accurate that is, but the file has certainly been copied from one computer to the next to the next, and plausibly originated from the font's first public release.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:55 PM, shadowphiar said:

The old font file, examined in Get Info, says it is version 0.90 with a Modified date of 25 January 2005 - I can't vouch for how accurate that is, but the file has certainly been copied from one computer to the next to the next, and plausibly originated from the font's first public release.

Wow. That does appear to be the earliest release.
The earliest version listed in the old MS Typography site is v0.90 (archive.org link).
So far I have not been able of get a hold of that version (to test it).
Earliest I have is v1.02 from Office 2007.
In testing that version, it does not appear to have any issues like above.
But being that v0.90 is less than v1.00 it may have been some sort of pre-release or beta.
It may have had a bug or two.