You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo (v1.10.4.1198) on Windows 10 Crashing when Renderer is set to Quadro RTX 3000

ABack

This is on a workstation laptop (Lenovo P17) with an i7-10850H and 32GB memory.

I have had to change the Renderer in Performance Preferences to Intel UHD Graphics to stop the crashing. This is a recent problem that started in one of the 1.10.x drops, but seems to be worse in 1.10.4.

The crashing happens after doing a few operations. It does not seem to matter what those operations are. An easy example is adding pics from Stock, then deleting some of them. It seems to be worse when using other programs at the same time that use the Quadro for 3D acceleration (e.g. Blender).

The symptoms are that Photo freezes and then after a while Windows reports that "Photo is not responding" and the only way to recover is to kill the program and start again.

I tried updating to the latest Nvidia Studio driver (472.84), but this made no difference.

I also have Designer and Designer is rock solid with the Renderer set to the Quadro. I have a similar laptop (older model with essentially the same specs, previous gen i7 but also including a Quadro RTX 3000) for personal use with the full suite (licensed separately, of course) of Photo, Designer and Publisher, and Publisher is also rock solid while using the Quadro as the Renderer.

While I am pleased that I have a workaround, so I can work in Photo without the interruptions from the crashes, it means I am not able to fully utilize the power of the Quadro RTX card. So here's hoping there will be a fix in the next update to Photo.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Sorry, yes, forgot to mention that I have left the OpenCL acceleration enabled. The only thing I have changed to stop the crashing is the Renderer.

The text under the Hardware Acceleration option indicates that it is using both the Quadro and Intel UHD.

I will try it the other way around, with Renderer set to the Quadro and H/w Accel turned off and let you know.

So, yes, it also appears to be stable with Renderer set to the Quadro and H/w Accel (OpenCL) turned off.

And to be honest, I cannot really tell if there is any performance hit from turning off hardware acceleration.

Apologies if this turns out to be a duplicate issue. I did a search and could not find anything that exactly matched my experience.

@Lem3, that is a DCH packaged driver, so I will wait for 511.x to be available as a Standard package.

The point I was making about updating the driver is that it had no impact.

None of the other applications I use are having problems, most notably Affinity Designer that also uses OpenCL acceleration, so my interpretation is that the realm of the bug must be within Photo, not with anything external.