You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Autotrace anytime soon?

The one thing that keeps Designer from being a proper professional application is the glaring absence of autotrace. Will we be seeing autotrace in Designer or Photo anytime soon?

This is a serious deficiency in an otherwise quite good application. It can't properly be marketed as "professional grade" software because of this — it's "advanced hobbyist" at best... and I'm a professional, not a hobbyist.

Autotrace has been a bread-and-butter feature of every professional-grade application I've used, going back to FreeHand v2 in the early 1990s. Currently, I'm engaged in an ongoing search for a decent Mac autotrace utility to fill this gaping hole in Designer — and so far, I've had miserable luck. Inkscape won't export to a format Designer can read properly, and my short experience with Vectornator has shown it to be horribly substandard.

I'm getting the hang of Designer well enough and will be able to use it, but — without a proper autotrace feature, I can't really recommend it to other professionals.

Edited by Mike Swartzbeck
mangled sentence

Was there a specific reason why you created another thread about something which already has plenty of threads about it?
Or, to put that another way, is there something you’ve written here which could not simply be added to another existing thread?

The more threads there are about a thing the more the discussion of that thing is ‘diluted’.
I refer you to the forum guidelines:

Search First.png

6 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

The requests go back multiple years with little response from affinity.

Serif generally does not respond in the Feature Requests forums. They're for us to provide input, not for them to provide feedback.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrellit would be nice if they did respond and ask follow up questions and engage more with their customer base. 

Even if they didn't comment, the repeated requests for features goes back years and few show up in the final product. Affinity does not respond often in word or action and that is concerning to many. I love affinity and own every app, but they are turning off their most loyal fans with their secrecy and glacial improvement 

On 1/29/2022 at 6:55 AM, Boldlinedesign said:

If we only used the original threads, they'd be endlessly long

Yes, an infinite number of threads with exactly the same problem, and in most cases with exactly the same and repetitive views, is definitely better and clearer for users looking for some information.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

Sadly the joke only reflects poorly on serif.

Do you think? In my opinion, rather to users who are not able to respect the relatively clear and easy rules of the forum.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Do you think? In my opinion, rather to users who are not able to respect the relatively clear and easy rules of the forum.

I do think so indeed - There's a collective clamoring from the customer base stretching back 5+ years for Serif to add what are considered basic tools and features found in other vector programs. Taking 5+ years to implement basic vector tools and features is not a good look for Serif.  Expecting users to go pull up years old threads to add yet another request to the years long list is not realistic. There's no good reason for multi-year long threads all asking for the same thing

45 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

Expecting users to go pull up years old threads to add yet another request to the years long list is not realistic. There's no good reason for multi-year long threads all asking for the same thing

And what is the benefit in creating more and more recurring "new / young" threads? Is there anything beneficial in them compared to the old ones? - the function is still not implemented, all applications (except Affinity) have had this function for a long time (which is, as I assume, a reason for low priority - the function can be replaced in dozens of different ways), so what's new in this thread?
By the way, a new thread with Autotrace is here every month, so it shouldn't be a problem to continue with these fresh threads - or perhaps yes?
https://www.google.com/search?q=autotrace+site:forum.affinity.serif.com+after:2021-12-01

"what is the benefit in creating more and more recurring "new / young" threads? Is there anything beneficial in them compared to the old ones? - the function is still not implemented,"

So far there has not been much benefit in many years to doing single threads either unfortunately. 

"all applications (except Affinity) have had this function for a long time (which is, as I assume, a reason for low priority - the function can be replaced in dozens of different ways)"

People are trying to get away from Adobe for example, and if possible, would prefer a one stop option to do all of these things. I cannot understand why it has been a low priority and taken many years for Affinity to implement what it took other apps, like Vectorstyler for example, less than a year to do. Putting off your customer base for many years and not responding to their requests with any sort of roadmap is not going to help keep the loyalty. I want Affinity to succeed, but they're going to need to address these things sooner than later if they want people to stick around to purchase version 2.0

I know Affinity has an aversion to polls, but my opinion is that sorting the poll by the number of votes is a great indicator what users most want to get in the next version. It would be a matter of mutual satisfaction - the company would have far fewer annoying customers, and they, in turn, would always know what to expect in the next version.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

2 hours ago, NNN said:

the company would have far fewer annoying customers, and they, in turn, would always know what to expect in the next version.

Serif have told us that their development plan is not (and will not be) determined by the results of voting. If there were a system like you propose, the users would have unrealistic expectations, and  be more unhappy.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

If people took time to read previous posts about the same subject, they would stop asking and giving the same comments... already having their answers.

People are not going to want to dig through literal years of a thread to figure out why these basic features were not already be in the program 

15 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

People are not going to want to dig through literal years of a thread to figure out why these basic features were not already be in the program 

If they don't want to know the history, they can simply add their agreement via "Yes, I want this, too" or "+1" and move on. They don't need to read all the history if they don't want it, and they don't need to start a new thread.

-- Walt
PC:

@walt.farrell I want to see Affinity do awesome - I own all their available apps on every platform. At some point we can call a spade a spade and hold Affinity to the same standard we expect from other things we purchase and use. In terms of their UI and rendering and studio link approach - they are awesome. When it comes to putting out a well-rounded product with all the basic tools and functions in a timely manner - they stink. We can still love Affinity to be critical of their communication and their efficiency 

7 minutes ago, Wosven said:

But they should, since we won't redo the conversations here, lol

No need to redo conversations, at this rate all we need to do is copy and paste the same answer every time "no it has not been added yet, yes we realize it's been many many years since it was first suggested, yes many have asked for it, no we don't know why they have not added it, check back next year. thanks!'

A simple reminder for you, @Boldlinedesign :

On 1/28/2022 at 9:14 AM, GarryP said:

I refer you to the forum guidelines:

Search First.png

After a few years or having the same posts from people that don't apply simple courtesy or simply don't follow the forum rules, I can assure you that the simplest answer we can politely give is:

35 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

"no it has not been added yet, yes we realize it's been many many years since it was first suggested, yes many have asked for it, no we don't know why they have not added it, check back next year. thanks!'

...well, at least when the question is asked less than twice a week!