You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Lens Information in Metadata from import of .RW2 files

1) When I bring a .RW2 image into Affinity Photo from my Lumix DC-G9 camera, "No Lens Information" appears in the Metadata.

2) Then when I am in the Develop Persona, I can select the appropriate lens profile. Affinity Photo applies the corresponding geometric tramsforms to the image as expected. But still no Metadata information is recorded in the data file identifying the lens.

3) Finally when I develop the image and transfer over to the Photo Persona, I am not sure the that the lens transform follows. If I go back to the Develop Persona, there is AGAIN a lack of lens information and I feel compelled to select the lens profile a second time. I am not sure if I am really starting over, or if I have simply applied the transform twice.

In any case, no Metadata update occurs. When I export my image, "No Lens Information" is displayed in the Metadata. Please clarify this situation and tell me how to get the correct lens data to appear in the image data file. BTW, the original .RW2 image file DOES have lens information correctly listed in it's metadata.

With my G9 files Affinity Photo  displays automatically the correct lens info and adjust the image accordingly, I don't have to specifiy the lens. The correct lens info appears in the metadata panel. After I "develop" the image and then come back to the Develop Persona, the lens info is still there. After exporting the file to JPG the lens info is included in the exif data.

So far I used only Panasonic lenses on my G9, I don't know what happens with other lens. Are you using a Panasonic lens?

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, jmcsys said:

In any case, no Metadata update occurs

The metadata for Lens Info shows the info recorded in the image, I think, and is not affected by the lens you choose to use for Lens Correction.

But I would expect the correct info to be present automatically.

To let us see your issue, can you provide a sample image from your camera that has this problem? What lens are you using? What OS?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for responding.

The Lens I am using on my Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 is the Lumix LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3. The actual string "LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3" appears in the metadata tag "Lens model" that is displayed in the macOS 12.1 finder window for the .RW2 files that I am editing in Affinity Photo. So the lens is a Panasonic lens and its metadata is present in the original raw data file.

When the file is opened in Affinity Photo, the data is gone.

I have been doing some trouble shooting. My workflow is to transform my original .RW2 file with Topaz DeNoise and Topaz Sharpen AI and then proceed to Affinity Photo. It is in the Topaz steps that I lose the lens data. So that part of the puzzel is solved.

However there is still the issue of assigning a lens profile in Affinity Photo and not have that choice reflected in the metadata. Perhaps it should not be, but if the case, I have no way of tracking the profiles I use.

I've included the relevant files in case you are interested in looking at them even though the problem appears to be a 3rd party issue. Again thanks for responding.

_G9_6424-DN-SP.jpg

_G9_6424.RW2 _G9_6424-DN-SP.afphoto

I downloaded both files, and the meta data is present in both.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I downloaded your RAW file and the metadata has remained the same from start to finish. Affinity Photo - Topaz Denoise AI (3.4.2) as a plugin. The data is still in the exported JPG file. This is on Windows.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to AlainP, walt.farrel, Ron P., and DWright for responding. I have verified DWright's observation that Topaz is the source of the lost lens info. Bummer. Given the crude state of the Topaz User Interfaces and a number of bug issues, I doubt I will see a fix as minor as metadata striping anytime soon. But time will tell. The Topaz software is capable of really fantastic effects. Its use is buggy, the results are hit or miss, and each component in the suite seems to have a User Interface that was developed independently by different software teams (and each of those teams think like engineers, not end user photographers). But that said, when Topaz works, the results can be fantastic. So, I need to develop a change in my work flow that manages this problem. Again, thanks guys for helping me through this.

I'm a little confused, doesn't Topaz open a raw file then after making whatever adjustments it outputs a dng file, so you are opening a dng in Photo and the metadata has been stripped?
In which case you can use exiftool to repair the damage. This requires the raws and the dngs to be in the same folder, the command is:

exiftool -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile %d%f.RW2 -ext dng .

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

David I thought I answered your reply to my topic several days ago. But I dont see it so I guess I am having a senior moment. My apologies. 

Thank you for your suggestion. I found a metadata editor for use on my apple iMac. Highly recommended and pricey to boot. But it is buggy too and would'nt you guess it, it has trouble reading the entire Panasonic .RW2 file just like the Topaz apps I'm having trouble with. The advertising claimed it processes the Panasonic .RW2 files, but it DON'T!

So, I went for the easy tool and got burned. Now I will try your suggestion like I should have in the first place. 

You can take an old stubborn horse to water, but sometimes they need a push to drink.

Again thanks for the suggestion and the exiftool command usage.