You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!

I just did a search of the group for this and nothing came up, so forgive me if this has been brought up before.

I am wondering how you keep text layers editable editable after your document has been saved ... ?  I have tried saving documents as PNG, PSD and .aphoto, but none of these formats seem to allow text layers to be editable once the document has been saved and then loaded back in to Affinity Photo afterward.

Is this something that Affinity simply won't do, or should I used another format?  Any information on how to do this would be helpful.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Chazilicious1138 said:

I am wondering how you keep text layers editable editable after your document has been saved ... ?

They should be editable in a native Affinity file (.afphoto, .afdesign, .afpub) if you have not done something to Rasterize the text layer. So if you're having trouble with them there, we'd need to see your files, and know exactly what you did.

They won't be editable in PNG/JPG/TIFF as those are raster formats.

And they won't be editable in PSD because PSD is a proprietary format of Adobe, and poorly documented, and Serif has not taken the time yet to reverse engineer the format sufficiently to create editable text there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi and welcome!

From those formats you named above the .afphoto file format should keep artistic/frame text in an editable manner as far as you don't rasterize or merge it into plain pixels and keep it as text shapes. - Other than that most vector formats (SVG, Ai, EPS, ...) can do save/store text as editable text commands and thus in a re-editable manner, if not converted before into just plain curves here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@walt.farrell@v_kyr

Thank you so much for replying.  I have discovered that the .aphoto format text layers are still editable.  I assumed they weren't because, when I click on the "T" in the box to signify a text layer, it zoomed in on very blocky text and did not select and highlight the text as a whole.  Affinity does this with the other formats that aren't editable, so I figured the .aphoto layers weren't either.