[Expired] Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.10.5.1282 (RC)

• Moderators

Please use the 1.10.5 release build there is no later beta

Purpose: Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Not Submitted
Download: Download <download link removed by mod>
Auto-update: Not Available

---

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.10.5.1282 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.10.4 version released to all customers. We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the release version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

---

Fixes and Updates

• Fixed registration failure (will now use the browser to complete registration, rather than attempt it in-app)
  • Fixed possible rendering issues with Raster elements
  • Optimisation when transforming Text Frames

Previous Beta Release Notes

---

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

48 minutes ago, peterkrisztianszabo said:

Registration? You mean tying the apps together so quick changing between the apps would workin publisher without an appstore install?

You need to Register in order to download free "assets" etc, not to use the software. 

I think what you're referring to is Studio Link, which enables you to open basic versions of Photo and Designer directly in Publisher (as long as you have  them installed).

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher : Affinity Photo : Affinity Designer (latest release versions) | Affinity Photo for iPad

Das funktioniert jetzt wieder wunderbar.

Nur müsste meiner Meinung nach die Datenbank mit den Registrationen überarbeitet werden.

Ich musste meinen Laptop dreimal neu Aufsetzen. (Zweimal davon das Windows neu installiert. Beim drittenmal kam ein neues Motherboard hinzu).

Das heisst jedes Mal ändert sich der Name des Gerätes und die Hardwareadressen.

Das heisst die Registrierungen sind nicht aktuell.

In der Registrierung kann ich jedoch keine Geräte deaktivieren.

2 hours ago, peterkrisztianszabo said:

Registration? You mean tying the apps together so quick changing between the apps would workin publisher without an appstore install?

StudioLink, which I think you're referring to, should work no matter where you purchased the 3 applications.

-- Walt

Desktop: new:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090  (old: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970 )
   Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1282 Beta
 iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 15.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.280) and 1.10.2 (.266) Beta / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.21) and 1.10.3 (.19) Beta 

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

StudioLink, which I think you're referring to, should work no matter where you purchased the 3 applications.

On 2/1/2022 at 10:20 AM, PaulEC said:

You need to Register in order to download free "assets" etc, not to use the software. 

Thanks, that's the one. I had problems with that before with saved app store installers, as studiolink only worked if they were installed via the app store and not from the saver .pkg files I grabbed from the app store cache. This made rolling back impossible. Never used the assets.

Light mode's confirmation buttons are still broken for me after a year of development.

2 hours ago, peterkrisztianszabo said:

This made rolling back impossible.

True, you cannot roll back if you purchased from the App Store, except by restoring a TimeMachine or similar backup.

-- Walt

Desktop: new:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090  (old: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970 )
   Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1282 Beta

Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.280) and 1.10.2 (.266) Beta / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.21) and 1.10.3 (.19) Beta 

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

True, you cannot roll back if you purchased from the App Store

If you don't mind using this feature then you can, but of course you have to save the installer .pkg files during installation...copy them elsewhere before the os deletes them.

I purchased from the app store as I bought photo/designer very early after they released and as I recall there were no alternative option back then.

Please fix the linking-problem in Publisher! It's still not working with Beta 1.10.5.1282. My document gets bigger than 5GB even though I linked all the images and they shouldn't be embedded. The resource manager also shows them linked. This worked much better in previous versions! (MacBook Air M1)

Update: For now I went back to Publisher 1.9.3 till Serif fixes this problem.

Edited by _Seb_

I find this Beta to be extremely unstable on Mini M1, mac OS Monterey v12.2.1.

• start a new file, paste 3 lines of simple text into a Text frame, click Text Frame button in the bar -> beachballing.
  • start a new file, click menu item: Toggle Full Screen -> beachballing.
  • add a text frame to a new file, edit text frame's baseline grid (on pane, this time) -> ball!
  • edit tables -> beach time! look at that ball go!
  • data merge, update -> spin, spin, spin..
  • and many others.

It takes a while until it properly crashes and Mac generates a report. Still, I have a report copied (the one that usually goes to Apple)... let me know if it would be alright to post here.

The key question here is: Am I cursed? 🙃

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Monterey

@Aleksandar Kovač, how many fonts do you have on your Mac? If the number is in the thousands then that may be causing this.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 11.6.8

Affinity Designer 1.10.5 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old BruceThank you for replying and providing a valid path for investigation...  Since I am training myself in font scarcity :) I only have system fonts plus <10 added fonts. No font managers.

• Furthermore, no user swatch palettes, assets, styles etc. have been imported.
  • The only background app I am using is Syncthing, but AP crashes even without it running.
  • Pretty vanilla mac OS: SIP enabled, no hacky tricks, no helpers, no background apps, no kexts, no external devices beside Bluetooth Logitech keyboard and an Apple mouse (no Logitech 'Options' software installed); I own Wacom Intuos, but I disconnected it for testing this.

I can reproduce the crash consistently.

1. Start Publisher Beta. It starts in separated window mode.
  2. Cmd+N — New document... I choose A4.
  3. Hit 'T' to get Text frame tool and paste some text in it. Like this:image.png.c57c118ed954e4de9b29d4639e3ca155.png
  4. Click on 'Text frame pane' button in the main bar -> Crash.

I have gathered a few after-crash Problem reports in txt format.

Alex

2 hours ago, Aleksandar Kovač said:

The key question here is: Am I cursed?

Two things to try, the first you most likely have done already, that is the tried and true "Have you tried turning it off and on again"

The second is to do a Clear User Data startup of the application. Hold down the Control key and start the application, continuing to hold the Control key until you see the Clear User Data window, hit clear and try then.

Note: I just saw the little preflight warning on the screenshot. What is that for? You can't have anything messed up already.

299074979_ScreenShot2022-02-16at9_14_36AM.png.68e9779b3251b0ae703f0e2e4b15c7b7.png

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 11.6.8

Affinity Designer 1.10.5 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 | Beta versions as they appear.

I can see you have done this before :).. Thank you! The curse might have been be lifted...

1. Yup. Turned the thing off/on. My generation still does that first... 😉
  2. I just cleared ALL user data (thanks!) and the crash above cannot be reproduced! Yay! Good tidings.
  3. Now, this one is interesting. Preflight says: Missing dictionary for language 'en-HR'. I am in Croatia (Hrvatska, ISO code: HR), but I am not aware of ISO language code 'en-HR'. Then again, I do not know much. My mac OS is using US English (with local preset formats for currency, decimal points, etc.). AP Preferences/Auto correct is set to 'English'. Perhaps some unfortunate hybridisation?

@Old Bruce, I really appreciate your guidance, experience and spending your valuable time on this.

Oh, on a side note... triple 'Toggle Full Screen' shortcut disappeared, it seems... Spoke too soon. Tripple 'Toggle Full screen' is here even after clearing all of user data.

Alex

5 hours ago, Aleksandar Kovač said:

Missing dictionary for language 'en-HR'. I am in Croatia (Hrvatska, ISO code: HR), but I am not aware of ISO language code 'en-HR'. Then again, I do not know much. My mac OS is using US English (with local preset formats for currency, decimal points, etc.). AP Preferences/Auto correct is set to 'English'. Perhaps some unfortunate hybridisation?

That is one of the oddities of spelling in Publisher. We struggled with it quite a bit in this thread below, but I'll link to the post that I think is probably the most succinct summary in the thread:

• Moderators
Just now, Tommy Turtle said:

stalls fixed in Publisher on M1 Pro

sorry everything we have tried has not worked, so we are stuck with what we have at the moment, sorry

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, Tommy Turtle said:

Do we know if MacOS 12.3 (which is now an RC) fixes the UI stalling problem?

Sorry , but we do not think so but will find out shortly. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 months later...

My Affinity Publisher is from the Mac App store and updated to 1.10.5, but when opening the current beta, it asks for a product key or a copy from the Mac App store. I even deleted the beta and reinstalled with a fresh zip, double-checking the version, and both apps are in the same folder. It doesn't see my copy of Publisher.

24 minutes ago, ThomasPKing said:

My Affinity Publisher is from the Mac App store and updated to 1.10.5, but when opening the current beta, it asks for a product key or a copy from the Mac App store. I even deleted the beta and reinstalled with a fresh zip, double-checking the version, and both apps are in the same folder. It doesn't see my copy of Publisher.

I do think you would need a beta with a higher version number. Meaning at least 1.10.6 instead of 1.10.5. And there is not going to be anything in the beta that is not in the retail release of the same version number.

24 minutes ago, ThomasPKing said:

You can't use the beta as it's older than the retail release. You'll need a 1.10.6 or later beta, and none are available as there are no active betas right now.

-- Walt

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can't use the beta as it's older than the retail release. You'll need a 1.10.6 or later beta, and none are available as there are no active betas right now.

Oh, I assumed the 1.10.5.1282 still had updates to 1.10.5. This is the first time I've seen there was no current beta. It's kind of strange since some features have only ever worked in the beta (like text you can select/search in PDFs). Anyone know when we might get a 1.10.6 beta?