You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I am new to this and need help. Everytime I create something in Affinity Desginer and export as SVG for blender nothing shows up. Another problem I have is that with Affinity Designer the whole APP lags when using the Selection brush tool and when I click on EXPORT my whole PC lags (not while exporting just when on the tab). SPECS: I7 12700K, 32GB DDR4 3600MHZ, RTX 3070, WINDOWS 11, ONLY SSD's

Hope someone here can help me thanks

Hi and welcome!

See this video which explains how to export SVGs in order to reuse them in Blender then. Though they use Ai there the same applies to AD here then when exporting as SVG, aka convert to curves and merge together etc.

For the Designer/Win 11 lagging, check and try out what happens when you instead set "disable OpenCL" and use "WARP" under the AD Preferences performace settings, see if that changes anything in behavior here or not. The Affinity products often have problems with certain GPU drivers in this regard.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi,

Perhaps the imported item is too small and you can't see it. What does Outliner show in Blender?

To get the imported shape in real physical units, set it to 90 DPI when exporting, or use a 90 DPI document initially:
Affinity_SVG_Export.png.fadf2e84fe20d2c0d80a0885eb810c57.png

If you want to extrude your shape, use the second SVG import option:
Blender_SVG_Import.png.78def8294cfd2970fadf3fb382f8fa59.png

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Hi and welcome!

See this video which explains how to export SVGs in order to reuse them in Blender then. Though they use Ai there the same applies to AD here then when exporting as SVG, aka convert to curves and merge together etc.

For the Designer/Win 11 lagging, check and try out what happens when you instead set "disable OpenCL" and use "WARP" under the AD Preferences performace settings, see if that changes anything in behavior here or not. The Affinity products often have problems with certain GPU drivers in this regard.

The OpenGL idea did fix my second issue so thank you! 

54 minutes ago, telemax said:

Hi,

Perhaps the imported item is too small and you can't see it. What does Outliner show in Blender?

To get the imported shape in real physical units, set it to 90 DPI when exporting, or use a 90 DPI document initially:
Affinity_SVG_Export.png.fadf2e84fe20d2c0d80a0885eb810c57.png

If you want to extrude your shape, use the second SVG import option:
Blender_SVG_Import.png.78def8294cfd2970fadf3fb382f8fa59.png

Thanks for the tips I didnt know this! I found the issue why it wouldnt show in blender and the reason was because I grouped all layers to the main one in Affinity designer for SVG and it seems like layer effects like outline dont work either. Now I have a new issue maybe you know how to fix this. When imported into blender (see screenshot) the layers are inside of eachother any way to fix this in affinity? thanks

blender_TEyr1af4Vh.png

A lot of objects are gathered into one location? In my case, it doesn't happen.

A screenshot of the Layers panel, or the file you provided, may clarify the cause.