You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAL Classic color palette

DMcG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi DMcG, 

Thanks very much for posting your RAL palette, that's what I'm looking for, basic colors that I can select quickly. I'm not experienced with colors and don't need them overly precise or complicated; my clients aren't interested in that, just standard traditional colors . . . . but those seem difficult to find these days. Similar to text and paragraph styles, I need a simple mode so I can concentrate on content. 

I've installed the RAL palette file and have a few questions about it, below:

1) On the main page there are hue groups, and each group opens to an all hues sub-page. Here the colors are ordered neatly and clearly to me, but the imported palette seems more chaotic, or I'm not interpreting it properly. I wonder if the Affinity palette could be organized more clearly in groups, I suppose not. 

2) Are all the hues on sub-pages included in the imported palette? I find them on a spot-check, but just looks like the Affinity palette is lacking the same quantity of colors . . .  or it's a visual trick on my eyes!

3) What are the pros and cons of RAL compared to Pantone that's included in Affinity? For me, there's way to many Pantone palettes and colors -- it's completely overwhelming to me -- heck, I can't even find a basic navy blue in that mess. 

4) How did you turn the RAL color palette into an Affinity palette file, you did it manually? Simply curious, if it's top secret then don't tell me!

Thanks & Regards,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin B
Additional question and simple text edits

Hi Kevin,
Some good questions, I'm not sure if I can answer them all but I will try. 

1. The RAL palette should be ordered by number. The RAL system is explained here: The RAL Classic colours have a 4-digit number in combination with the letters 'RAL' (e.g. RAL 1028). The first digit is a system code number (1: yellow, 2: orange, 3: red, 4: violet, 5: blue, 6: green, 7: grey, 8: brown and 9: white and black shades). The remaining 3 digits are chosen sequentially. I did a quick search to see if groupings for colour swatches was available in Affinity but I didn't find anything.
  2. Yes I believe so, I may have missed one or two, apologies if I did. 
  3. RAL is an European colour matching system (adopted worldwide) which defines colours for paint, coatings and plastics. RAL Classic is the most famous and widely used system. It's largest applications are in the automotive, product and interior design industries. Pantone is a larger colour matching system that has predominantly been used in the print media industry. 
  4. I copied all the colours into word, then created a pdf that I imported into Affinity. From there I selected each colour individually with the colour picker and saved it as a colour with the appropriate number. I checked a large number to ensure that the RAL represented in HSL transposed accurately, so yes, it was done manually.

Tip: You can edit the colour names in Affinity and save your edits. So you could append the correct name to the number with group identifier like YL,OR,RD,VI,BL,GN,GY,BR,BK this would be nice to have so if you do that please export your palette and post it here. You may also be able to change the slider designation between RGB,HSL & CMYK but I don't know for sure. Others have also suggested they should be spot colours but again I would suggest some research if that is what you need, it depends on your application. 

Lastly, you can buy RAL colour charts on eBay/Amazon for pennies that might help you find colours quicker.

Best of Luck

Dom

• 11 months later...

Hi Dom, 

I just entered your RAL Classic palette into Version 2 and it's very handy again, so I want to thank you for your time to create and share it with us. I imported the .pdf version and saved it as an .affdesign file, I can keep it open for color reference while working on other files in Designer. 

In the swatches studio, I set it to show as a list and that makes it very simple to find and view the swatches, scrolls up and down pretty quickly and the numbers are much easier to read. 

I even did a test to see if there's any perceptible difference between the .pdf colors and the RAL swatch palette -- all were spot-on perfect without any difference whatsoever. So great work you did there and it saves me a lot of confusion with too many colors available in Designer's native palettes. RAL has plenty for me with simple codes, heck, maybe one day I'll add in their nice names!

Cheers, Kevin

• 6 months later...