You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't save new or old files but export works.

Hey all,

I have been working with affinity photo and designer for years and never had a problem. But since yesterday I suddenly cannot save any new or old file. I always get the error message "Save failed because access to the file was lost". When I save a new file then despite the error message an empty (0KB) file is created. The error occurs on both Affinity Designer and Photo, but with no other program on my PC. However exporting files (e.g. as png) is working.

I'm working on a windows 10 PC and have the newest version of Affinity installed. All files I open and try to save are on my internal SSD. I am not trying to save to an external storage medium. Uninstallation and reinstallation of the programs as well as restarting my pc multiple times did not work.

Unfortunately I don't know how to solve this problem and I'm very grateful for any help or tips on what I can try. Thansk in advance :)

Welcome to the forum @Jellywhale,

This error has been reported numerous times, and has been thought to be related to trying to save to external drives, or OneDrive type folders. However since you're trying to save to your internal SSD, it rules that out.

Next is the possibility of Windows Defender blocking or setting a security rule on the Folder you're trying to save to. Check Windows Defender to see if that's the case. Look at the path where you're trying to save to, for this folder location.

I think another way to test this security blocking, is if using another editing app. Try saving it's proprietary working file (afphoto or afdesign are Affinity's), to the same location you're having issues with Affinity. I would think if it is Windows Defender misbehaving, that app should also fail to save.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Hi @Jellywhale,

Can you please try the steps outlined in the below post? I am interested to see if this resolves the issue for you, as it did another Affinity user -

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "Saving Failed increasing frequency of reports" (REF: AFP-4826) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.1 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us