You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I run into performance issues with AP ... but i hear so many are very happy with AP concerning performance.

I read more in the forum, and the only time I saw comparable performance comments as i experience, was when people used large displays. As my hardware is powerful enough and other programs do not suffer from bad performance. 

So i thought i ask for feedback from you, my question would be:

What monitor and resolution do you have, and how is your performance?

My two answers would be:

Dell 32 inch 4k; bad performance

Macbook Retina; ok performance

I would be thankful for your input.

All the best

Sascha

Have not done a lot with Designer or Photo, but for the little playing I have done, it runs fast. I think Designer is actually a bit quicker then the latest version of Illustrator when I compared some complex vector files. 

This is on a 27" iMac 5K with AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB and 4 ghz i7 cpu. 

Not sure if you should really be comparing screens for performance, I would be looking at processors and gpu's 

Have not done a lot with Designer or Photo, but for the little playing I have done, it runs fast. I think Designer is actually a bit quicker then the latest version of Illustrator when I compared some complex vector files. 

This is on a 27" iMac 5K with AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB and 4 ghz i7 cpu. 

Not sure if you should really be comparing screens for performance, I would be looking at processors and gpu's 

My hunch is that if he is using a 2015 retina macbook to run a 4k display there isn't nearly enough gpu power left over to have any hope of reasonable performance.. The gpu in that machine is just enough to run the internal let alone external display. Additionally the target market for that machine isn't photo editors its safari + email + ms office.

My hunch is that if he is using a 2015 retina macbook to run a 4k display there isn't nearly enough gpu power left over to have any hope of reasonable performance.. The gpu in that machine is just enough to run the internal let alone external display. Additionally the target market for that machine isn't photo editors its safari + email + ms office.

Yes, having the specs of the MacBook Pro being used would help, but it does take some horsepower to power these UHD displays. Also, is the OP using 2 screens, the MacBook Pro screen and the 4K with a dual display setup or is the MacBook Pro lid closed while it only uses the 4k screen? You will get better performance with just one display for sure. 

I was looking for a 4K Display for my MacBook Pro Early 2015 5i which in theory even supports 4K 60Hz, but after the study of "a thousand" experience reports (trusty or not), I came to the clear decision that 4K does not work with this book in practice. 2560x1440pixel is the highest advisable resolution, where enough resources stay in existence for considerable complex work.

I was looking for a 4K Display for my MacBook Pro Early 2015 5i which in theory even supports 4K 60Hz, but after the study of "a thousand" experience reports (trusty or not), I came to the clear decision that 4K does not work with this book in practice. 2560x1440pixel is the highest advisable resolution, where enough resources stay in existence for considerable complex work.

I have the same machine, I would think that it should be able to run a 4k display with decent results. It will definitely be slower as the rmbp still only has a 4.1 mil pixels display however it should be usable (I haven't tried it, basing this on the relative power of the iGPU in the new machine)