You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create three spaceships in 60 seconds. Affinity Photo tutorial #shorts

I believe the title of this ‘tutorial’ to be deceptive.
You are merely showing the user how to select the Distort Filter, drag their mouse a bit, and nothing much more useful than that.
You don’t show the user how to mask off the “spaceships” so what they have at the end of your video is not particularly usable by anyone wanting to make what you tell them they can make.
I can’t see the point of this video other than simply a bit of self-promotion.

Edited by GarryP
Was probably a bit too cranky.

A clever idea, and a good result, but I agree with @GarryP that it isn’t really a tutorial. It would have been better posted to the ‘Share Your Work’ section of these forums.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Actually, it's a pretty cool effect & definitely a tutorial for one use of the Filters > Distort > Mirror filter

I think I might be creating spaceships for the rest of the day now 😁

Can we have a spaceship competition? 

ss1.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Can we have a spaceship competition? 

He could have went through the process of creating a mask, but the tutorial was not about that. It was about using the Filter>Distort>Mirror, which is what he demonstrated. I've watched other tutorials where there are assumptions that the person already knows how to do somethings used in the process. Most of the time the tutor will mention this, and have provided other tutorials on that, and advise the viewer to go watch them.

I think he done what he described. Oh and if you want to go down a rabbit hole of self promotion, why not point this out to another member that posts Review types here. They're only meant to drive people to his personal site for monetary gain. He's using this forum for that purpose only.

Ok, here's my first, quick entry.

spaceship1.jpg

spaceshipcar.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

I believe the title of this ‘tutorial’ to be deceptive.
You are merely showing the user how to select the Distort Filter, drag their mouse a bit, and nothing much more useful than that.
You don’t show the user how to mask off the “spaceships” so what they have at the end of your video is not particularly usable by anyone wanting to make what you tell them they can make.
I can’t see the point of this video other than simply a bit of self-promotion.

GaryP, This is a YouTube #Short. They only allow 60 seconds or less to show a tutorial. I have seen many tutorials that last 10 - 15 minutes say that they masked something ahead of time because there tutorial was not on masking and that could be found in other tutorials. Many of my tutorials show ways of using Affinity tools that some may not have thought of. This is showing how to take the mirror tool and create a spaceship. If it was a longer tutorial I could have added so many other details i.e. smoke, fire from an engine, people inside etc. These short tutorials are to inspire others to create their own and from what I have seen in the answers to these posts, they have. My tutorial style is not for everyone, but it is what I do and it's free. I promise you, I did not do it for promotion.  

I was probably feeling a bit more cranky this morning than I am this afternoon so I’ve struck through my earlier comment about “self promotion” and you have my apologies (If I deleted the comment then some later comments won’t make sense).

I don’t ‘do’ YouTube so I wasn’t aware of these ‘shorts’ being ‘a thing’. (Lots of quote marks there.)

I think the overall problem I have with this sort of thing is that “tutorial” isn’t quite the word I would use.
For example, if I went to a tutorial at an educational establishment and it lasted less than sixty seconds then I would be very disappointed.

If the thread was called something like “How to use the Distort Mirror Filter to create some simple spaceships in under 60 seconds” (with the emphasis on “how to” rather than “tutorial”) then I probably wouldn’t be as bothered.

I know this is probably a matter of semantics(?) but calling a sixty-second video a ‘tutorial’ just doesn’t feel right to me, but it seems to be the way things are going at the moment unfortunately.

I found the mothership!

mothership.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, AnnH said:

I thought it looked like fun, and as I have never used the mirror tool it was a tutorial for me.

Exactly. And prompted me to have a go. not a spaceship but just played with a shot of some footballers from the weekend

IMG_6465.jpgfilter.jpg