You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to open PDF file, the file could not be parsed

Hi, I am trying out affinity Designer on the mac, and so far I loved it. I am facing one problem, which is importing illustrator files exported from rhinoceros 3D. 

Rhino 3D is a CAD software than can export to .ai files. however, when I try to open the .ai file in Affinity Designer I get the following error message: " Failed to open PDF file, the file could not be parsed". It is weird that the file is recognized as a pdf file although it is a .ai (illustrator file). 

When opening the exported rhino .ai file in illustrator, it does open but the file name is changed from *.ai to *.ai[converted].

I would rely like to use the affinity designer more, but since I deal a lot with files exported from rhino, this problem is not allowing me to depend on affinity Designer rather than illustrator. 

Regards,

Hi jun_june13, 

Welcome to the forum.  :)

It's possible that Affinity is expecting the .ai file to have PDF compatibility but the file does not because it uses a legacy format. 

That is why you get a parsing error. 

Can it be exported to PDF, instead of .ai from Rhino 3D? That may help. 

Paul.