You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

dannyg9

I'll always be thankful to Affinity for coming along at the right time. Publisher is exactly what I was looking for after YEARS of being an adobe InDesign user and having to hobble along when they went to subscription mode (I never claimed aboard the CC for my freelance work). For those that point out shortcomings of Publisher, let's go back to when QuarkXpress just about gave up on the Mac platform and nipping at it's heels was InDesign. The first couple of years with InDesign was horrible as the company worked out kinks (essentially, 2-3 years of the public beta testing the software for the company!). It took almost 4 years for InDesign to stabilize and become a leader, basically supplanting QuarkXpress.

Anyway, I'm preaching to the converted (at least I hope so). I find the Affinity suite to be far more intuitive and certainly more integrated than adobe's bloated offerings. 

SkinArt179Cover_1.jpg

SkinArt179_AlexaSorsaOpenSpread_1.jpg

SkinArt179_Sorsa2ndSpread_1.jpg

SkinArt179_Sorsa3rdSpread_1.jpg

SkinArt179_LuigiMansiOpen_1.jpg

SkinArt179_HeidiSpread1_1.jpg

SkinArt179_HeidiSpread2_1.jpg

SkinArt179_ShaneTan1_1.jpg

SkinArt179_ShaneTan2_1.jpg

SkinArt179_ShaneTan3_1.jpg

SkinArt179_VasiliyOpener_1.jpg

SkinArt179_Vasiliy2_1.jpg

SkinArt179_MrStickerOpener_1.jpg

SkinArt179_MrStickerSpread_1.jpg

Q: On P.6 The left alignment of text seems to be out of whack with everything else, is that because it is the only page without colour at the edge?

I like the general layout, but some of the spacing is odd and I can't determine if I'm missing something like needed page bleeds (but if that's it, they appear irregular). A few examples of this are:

1. P.9 The text block isn't centralised (closer to the right than left) and the setting of the picture beneath doesn't suggest this is a bleed issue.
  2. P.36 The image on the bottom right could be more uniform as there is space to make it bigger, making the alignment closer to the left/right alignment of the image above it.

That is an awesome picture of Luigi Mansi. Very...soulful.

👍

Ginger,

Thanks for the comments. In regard to the text alignment on pp 6 and 9, take into account that there's a gutter in the center of the spreads which may not seem so obvious out-of-context (having the physical bound magazine in hand). Same holds for the required safety on the outside edges. True, they DO look off, but there's technical reasons for that. As far as the images on page 36, it COULD be a little larger, but again, the gutter is to the right of the photo and the safety at the bottom requires a certain distance/spacing in relation to the footers (unless the photo bleeds off the page). 

I too LOVE the photo Luigi Mansi and that's why I chose it as the opener. If not for advertisers and editorial content, I could make the magazine a powerhouse of photo spreads or each feature would be 20 pages! The tough choices are the photo editing when there are so many brilliant images, both of the artists and their work.

7 hours ago, dannyg9 said:

Ginger,

Thanks for the comments. In regard to the text alignment on pp 6 and 9, take into account that there's a gutter in the center of the spreads which may not seem so obvious out-of-context (having the physical bound magazine in hand). Same holds for the required safety on the outside edges.

Yup, that was exact thing I was missing.😊 Thanks for the explanation.

I too LOVE the photo Luigi Mansi and that's why I chose it as the opener.

Well, that snippet did its job. It inspired me to visit his site. The dude certainly knows his canvas.

If not for advertisers and editorial content, I could make the magazine a powerhouse of photo spreads or each feature would be 20 pages! The tough choices are the photo editing when there are so many brilliant images, both of the artists and their work.

Yeah, not a position I envy--having to reject a great pic to make room for an advert.

Ginger,

You get points for originality. For all the things I've been called in the past, it's the first time I've ever been called Ginger.😵 🤣🤣

19 hours ago, Gignero said:

Yup, that was exact thing I was missing.😊 Thanks for the explanation.

Well, that snippet did its job. It inspired me to visit his site. The dude certainly knows his canvas.

Yeah, not a position I envy--having to reject a great pic to make room for an advert.

You get points for originality. For all the things I've been called in the past, it's the first time I've ever been called Ginger.😵 🤣🤣

You HAVE to know that was my mistake not checking the auto-correct on Gignero! So sorry.