You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta Expired

Hi there,

I've been using the Designer Beta for a number of months now and tried to open the app today to find it has expired. Is there a new Beta in the offing so I can at least access my files please? I can't find them in the cloud or anywhere else thats accessible on my iPad.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, daan_vb said:

Hi there,

I've been using the Designer Beta for a number of months now and tried to open the app today to find it has expired. Is there a new Beta in the offing so I can at least access my files please? I can't find them in the cloud or anywhere else thats accessible on my iPad.

Thanks

No the released version is ahead of the beta version and has been for several months.  You will need to wait for the next beta release to access your files. It is unwise to store your files within the app, you should always store outside of the app files you need to keep preferably in an iCloud folder. 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

5 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

No the released version is ahead of the beta version and has been for several months.  You will need to wait for the next beta release to access your files. It is unwise to store your files within the app, you should always store outside of the app files you need to keep preferably in an iCloud folder. 

Yes I realise this now. So nothing I can do to get those files? Do you know when the next beta will be coming out?

• Staff
 I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Unfortunately we're unable to extend the beta for certain users, my apologies.

However, you should be able to recover these documents, using the below steps:

1. Download iMazing (Commercial application, but the free trial is only needed)
  2. Connect your iPad to your PC
  3. Make a backup of the iPad through iMazing
  4. In the top right click the iPad's name and select the backup
  5. Inside the Apps > Affinity Designer Beta folder > Library > Application Support > com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.ios > 
  6. Drag the Autosave folder to the desktop (iMazing trial allows 10 drag operations, so doing the folder will get all files exported at once)
  7. Renamed from .autosave to .afdesign and check through these files.
  8. You may also find other files saved within these folders, so please be sure to check all within the 'Application Support' folder.
I hope this helps!

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...

Silly question, If I were to purchase the current version of Designer would I be able to access the folders/files I’d created in the Beta? Because it’s a separate application I’m guessing not but thought worth asking the question.

I’ve been resistant to buying it because I’m stuck in a bit of a No-mans-land between Publisher on a very aged Mac and Photo on my IPad Pro. I want to commit to the iPad but because Publisher on the iPad has taken years not to appear I don’t want to buy an app that I have to buy again because I’m forced down the Mac route.

5 minutes ago, andi_pv said:

Silly question, If I were to purchase the current version of Designer would I be able to access the folders/files I’d created in the Beta? Because it’s a separate application I’m guessing not but thought worth asking the question.

How were you running the Beta before if you didn't have a purchased copy of Designer already?

That's always a requirement for running the beta.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, andi_pv said:

I have Photo and Publisher, I guess one of them must have allowed me to run the Beta? 

This is an iPad beta thread. Publisher isn’t yet available for iPad.

Did you perhaps use the pre-release public beta for Designer on desktop? As Walt has indicated, all betas for the desktop apps are now for customers only: you would need to have the retail version installed on the same machine unless you have a product key from the Affinity Store.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

51 minutes ago, andi_pv said:

I have Photo and Publisher, I guess one of them must have allowed me to run the Beta? 

No, they wouldn't.

Perhaps you mean you ran the Trial version, not the Beta version?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

52 minutes ago, Alfred said:

This is an iPad beta thread.

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps you mean you ran the Trial version, not the Beta version?

There aren’t any trial versions of the iPad apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

There aren’t any trial versions of the iPad apps.

There also isn't Publisher for iPad, as you pointed out earlier.

So it's still unclear what @andi_pv is describing.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.