You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CONSTANTLY CRASHING!!!

I can't stand this right now. If I open more then about ten photos at a time Affinity freezes up and crashes and I have to restart Affinity or my PC....Problem is neither of these fix the issue. About every ten minutes or so something causes it to freeze, the screen turns grey and it says "not responding" it does this when opening photos, or when I close photos, it crashes. sometimes deleting a layer causes it. I do not what to do and what is going on but this is ridiculous now. It's gotten worse with the updates that are coming out. At times Affinity is completely unusable. I can barely get any work done. Is there anyone else who has crashing issues this bad?

As of right now on January 20th at 10:04PM it is now crashing when I try to save a photo! what is going on here?!?!?! It keeps getting worse.

10:14PM It is crashing right now while I'm trying to close a document.....I restarted Affinity several time in the past 20 minutes....this is horrible. Affinity is kind of letting me down right now........

10:27PM Crashed while exporting a photo. Screen froze and the program was not responding........

10:33PM Crashed while trying to copy and paste one layer from one document to another........What's going on Serif? This seems to get worse with every update..........

10:36PM Crashed while trying to open a document........When should I start asking for my money back? I have been using Affinity for a few years now and it's just getting worse over time.......

From 10:45PM on every time I close or open a document Affinity freezes for a few minutes then it works normally......for a few minutes then it freezes or crashes again......Can someone from Serif contact me by phone or email? This is crazy........

11:33PM froze and crashed when I tried to delete a layer........I give up for now.......I'm off to bed. I'd love to hear if anyone has similar experiences and if they got them sorted.

Edited by SeanCarrie0612
edited typing

• Staff

Hi @SeanCarrie0612,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble.

As Richard has mentioned, it's certainly possible that Hardware Acceleration are causing these issues within Affinity for you. As well as trying with this option disabled, please make sure you have the latest GPU drivers installed directly from the manufacturer.

Please do let us know if this helps, as otherwise we can request crash reports and investigate further :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I"m downloading a feature update to windows 10, version 21H1

I am not a computer smart person so I dont know if this will help or not. are you knowledable of this? affinity wont let me turn accelerated hardware on because i have windows 10 Home.

Aren't windows updates free? like i can download the newer version of windows I need?

And can you help me out with going about to get the GPU drivers? Sorry like I said I'm not a smart computer person.

So I dug around a bit and found this. looks like a spec sheet of my PC?

Also could use some help with this Secure Boot I tried to download it and I think I went to the wrong places. Can you help me out with that as well?

I noticed in the first image it says Secure Boot State is not supported. so I can't get Secure Boot at all?

I'm trying to look things up, but everything I find is in depth tech info that is way too advanced for me. there were some windows updates to do and I think I updated something on my graphics and AMD device and software. I'm stopping here because everything beyond that is very in depth tech info.

If you're familiar with AMD and Ryzen that would be fantastic! 

PC Specs.jpg

My PC uses Radeon and AMD Ryzen Software productsgraphics.jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-21 125849.png

Windows 11 Requirements .png

Affinity Preferences.png

Edited by SeanCarrie0612
uploading an image and text

1 hour ago, SeanCarrie0612 said:

So then Ive got to replace it with an upgraded card? Well damn, that's a lot of money for me right now. In a bit of a financial hole. money is real tight right now.  :(

If its running well with OpenCL acceleration off it may not be a problem. Do you notice its slow? Or is it slow enough to affect your workflow?

And getting a new GPU may not solve the acceleration problems. I just run with acceleration off. Don't really notice its off apart from a few of my macros.

The acceleration performance for my GPU gets better every update but crashes and freezing often occur at inconvenient times so I keep it off.

So I'm looking now and am seeing the Nvidia MSI Geforce GTX 1050 Ti card which would be in my price range when Ive got the money. also the GTX 1050 Ti from Gigabyte. And the Asus PH-GTX 1050 Ti.

Are these reliable cards that I should be looking at? they'd be in my price range when I'm not broke hah. I don't know much about gaming computer parts. So if you can explain if they're what I'm looking for and the differences between them, that would be very helpful.

20 hours ago, RichardMH said:

If its running well with OpenCL acceleration off it may not be a problem. Do you notice its slow? Or is it slow enough to affect your workflow?

And getting a new GPU may not solve the acceleration problems. I just run with acceleration off. Don't really notice its off apart from a few of my macros.

The acceleration performance for my GPU gets better every update but crashes and freezing often occur at inconvenient times so I keep it off.

Yea...........the crashing and freezing is what I'm looking to get rid of. Not trying to deal with it. It's a problem when at times it does this every five minutes. really screws up my work flow real bad.....

32 minutes ago, SeanCarrie0612 said:

Yea...........the crashing and freezing is what I'm looking to get rid of. Not trying to deal with it. It's a problem when at times it does this every five minutes. really screws up my work flow real bad.....

Are you sure Hardware Acceleration is off?
Hardware Acceleration is the cause in most cases.
Then try to change the Renderer to Warp.

23 hours ago, ashf said:

Geforce would be safer since Radeon has a bug in the driver recently.
Preferably Geforce GTX 1000 series or later.

So I'm looking now and am seeing the Nvidia MSI Geforce GTX 1050 Ti card which would be in my price range when Ive got the money. also the GTX 1050 Ti from Gigabyte. And the Asus PH-GTX 1050 Ti.

Are these reliable cards that I should be looking at? they'd be in my price range when I'm not broke hah. I don't know much about gaming computer parts. So if you can explain if they're what I'm looking for and the differences between them, that would be very helpful.

Crash reports should be in %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

If you upload one they may be able to see what the problem is.

Not much sense spending money on a new GPU until you know what the issue is.

(If its freezing there may not be a report)

Log.txt from %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\ might also be useful.

• Staff

@SeanCarrie0612 - although your Radeon 5500XT is not compatible with Hardware Acceleration, this should still be compatible with the Affinity app and does not require changing.

An alternative card may be able to enable Hardware Acceleration, however that would not guarantee a resolution to your current issue, as this is happening with Hardware Acceleration disabled.

There are however known issues with AMD Adrenalin drivers, and these could certainly be causing this issue as it appears you are using a slightly older driver version. I'd recommend downloading the latest driver (21.1.2) from the below link - 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt

Once downloaded, please follow the instructions at the below link for how to perform a 'clean installation' of these drivers -

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rs-install#:~:text=will be available.-,Custom Install,are to be installed.,-After selecting Accept

following installation, your system should restart. Now open Affinity and try editing once again. Does this improve the performance of the app for you please? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 8 months later...

I am having the same crashing issue today when I opened an rather complicated file. It turns out to be the open-CL acceleration settings, when I turned it off it runs smooth. 

But the thing is that such crashes have never occurred before, even with the same file. So my thought is that it might have something to do with the graphics card driver, since yesterday I updated my GPU driver.

Here are my specs: CPU r9 5900hs with radeon graphics, GPU GTX1650ti, 16GB of RAM. 

I'm running Windows 11 21h2 22000.1042, and geforce driver is 517.48.

• Staff

Hi @daryubel,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Many thanks for the information provided! We've seen the latest Windows updates are causing multiple issues across the Affinity apps, as it may have been one of the following updates that caused this: 

Our team are investigating further and hope to have more information to share regarding this when available. I'll be sure to update our developers with the specs you've provided - many thanks once again!