You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS Layer Selections & Groups

Greetings!

I come up against this issue every time I open an EPS file with Designer. There are layers and layers of images, that for whatever reason, the artist has combined with layers and layers of images from different groups. How on earth does one drag and select (isolate) a specific group of images?

Case in point... the attached screenshot has (6) unique UI's. I am trying to isolate all of the images in the top left UI. This appears to be impossible. Each of these UI's has 100's of images, intermixed with image layers from all of the other UI's. How do I select just the images for one UI?  I have tried every tool in both Persona's...?

And in almost all of the graphic files I have ever purchased - this is exactly the same way layers are managed. What the hell is going on here...?

Please and thanks... any advice would help me finally use the $$$ in graphics I have spent - without the ability to effectively use them.

Thank You.

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 5.13.45 AM.png

Use a copy of the file to do this. For safety reasons.

Ungroup absolutely everything. Make your selection of the the top Left section and group it. Repeat the selecting and grouping of the different areas as necessary.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, JoeFine2 said:

... that will save me hours. 

To save even more time, Work with the different groups and make logical or obvious selections and group them, then group different groups into subsections.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Hello Old Bruce...

Good advice for sure, thank you. However, it is quite the time consuming challenge to break it into different groups and subsections.... for example:

1523536947_ScreenShot2022-01-23at5_27_53AM.thumb.png.16f9d7a15ba49b7e5b1eba8455b40387.png

I am trying to grab and group the corner bracket (grey) piece... as you can see, there are at least 300 curves in this one little group.

1. Are the designers doing this just to frustrate others who might use their files, or is there an actual design reason?

2. How do you create smaller, purposeful groups from all this madness, within say, one life time?

Thanks again for taking the time to advise.

1 hour ago, JoeFine2 said:

1. Are the designers doing this just to frustrate others who might use their files, or is there an actual design reason?

Really doubt that they are doing it deliberately. It would take too long for one thing, plus the original designer may still have to work with it. I think what we see is the result of the original designer's software's export functionality. The original artwork in the original software may be organized really sensibly and that organization is lost in translation during export. 

Or the designer has a really poor way of working which results in these sorts of messes. Or a bit of both.

• 2 years later...

Before posting a new topic, I found this one from 2022 and even though it is archived, I am resurrecting it as it is germane to my problem.

I have had the same problem with EPS files, just one layer with hundreds of sub-layers, but I assumed that this is how they come, so went through various convoluted methods to isolate, regroup etc.

That being said, I attach two screen shots. One is the layer makeup of Designer 2.3.1. The other is the layer makeup of Adobe Illustrator 2023.

It looks to me that AFD cannot handle the EPS files correctly. Can this be ameliorated?

AFD231.png

AI.png

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200