You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File size larger after each save

3joern

Hello together,
I'm currently designing a 144-page architecture book with about 75 images, all first OPI (72dpi). The layout has been there for a while and the images are all positioned (no new ones added), currently there is just some small optimization, but after saving the file gets bigger and bigger (even with "save as") yesterday it was 130mb, meanwhile we are at 150mb. I have checked everywhere in the settings that nothing extra is saved (preview, log etc) but it is still a huge chunk. I'm starting to worry that when I get the final 300dpi images back from the prePress and update them, the program will break down and I'll have to rebuild everything in Indesign at short notice. Especially since when updating images now and then the size and position in the image box changed. 
This was the first job project I wanted to test with Publisher, after I got fine with test projects so far. I am already a bit worried.

Any Idea?

1 hour ago, Lee D said:

@3joernWould you be able to confirm the spec of your system please including the version of macOS running. As this may relate to an issue we have logged with the developers already.

Hi @Lee D

Mac OS Big Sur (11.6.2) Affinity Publisher 1.10.4 (Purchased via the website, not App store)

Oh Funny, just delete all the Pages with images/layouts and have only the Pages with paths save as Karten, now the File has 150mb, then the same file save as Karten2, now it has 116mb, and the latest complete File yesterday with images and all the Layout has now 160mb - uihhh, my baby is growing 😁

95984064_Bildschirmfoto2022-01-21um14_22_09.thumb.jpg.f6f5915fc2f5d5f8d2c049be8b669e5e.jpg

these are only the pages with the paths with 150mb 

1347482470_Bildschirmfoto2022-01-21um14_19_08.thumb.jpg.cd2b8dafaf5b9cfa209497e0e2aa722b.jpg

Files will grow with each change, until there's at least 30% wasted space. Then the Save will compress out the waste space.

Or you can do a Save As to a new name, which should compress it out immediately.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, 3joern said:

@Lee D Hi maybe interesting Infos for the file size. After I deleted all (5-6) Images outside the Pages (aka Artboard) the file size is constant 15mb.

I reported a bug a while ago with certain linked images causing the file size to grow huge on my M1 Pro. These were images that had been in the file for months and hadn't previously caused issues.

I found a temporary workaround - go to Resource Manager, select all images, click Embed (give it a few seconds depending on your images and computer speed), click Make Linked, and then choose Save As for your document. Mine shrunk from 600MB to 8MB. I checked just now and it had increased back to 300MB so I repeated it and am back to 8MB. If you are encountering the same bug you'll have to repeat this every so often but at least there's a workaround until this is fixed. But at least you'd be able to shrink it to a smaller size when you need to.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 8 months later...

I'm having the same problem with Publisher 2. I'm using an iMac M1 under Mac OS Monterey v 12.6.

Under Publisher v 1.10.5 I had problems with the size growing larger when saving document. I solved it by following your recommendation of going to Resource Manager, embedding the largest 5-6 files and then linking them, and 'Save as' afterwards, and the document would reduce its size. No problem there!

However, under Publisher 2 I open the exact same file I had under V1 that weighs 11.9 MB, and open it on V2 and when I save it it goes up to 224.2 MB. I followed all the steps under Resource Manager on version 2, and the file still weighs 100 times more than it should under V1. It's still at 222.2 MB, and there's nothing I can do about. I tried embedding every file (more than 100 images), and then linking them back, no change. The document is still extremely heavy, when it shouldn't weigh more than 20MB.

In other words, I had to go back to Version 1, and discard Version 2 which I bought recently. So the above solution doesn't work on V2.

Document under Publisher 1:

273674566_Screenshot2022-11-17at07_40_16.png.3f8fe188351a67468322023dae3adca6.png

Now the same document I had under Publisher 1, I opened and saved in Publisher 2. At one point it was at 10.1 MB. I made some corrections on the text, and saved again, and it went up to 224.2. I'm using exactly the same font that I use on version 1, so it wasn't because I added a new font that doesn't exist. I checked the preflight, and there's no problem with the document. I went under Resource Manager and embedded the heaviest images and then linked them. No change, it's still too heavy. I even embedded and linked all the images, saved file under different names, and still the same result. It won't go under 224 MB as can be seen on image below.

2062055530_Screenshot2022-11-17at07_41_47.png.345aff08d486b744832103232d660fa6.png

Any solutions? 

I'm also seeing this problem with Publisher 2. A file that under Publisher 1 was 463MB (there are a lot of images embedded), but opening the file in Publisher 2 and saving it without making any changes balloons the filesize to 777MB. Using Save As to save two more copies increased the filesize again each time, even though I made zero changes to the content:

image.png.8d8ecce6fdf873b05cb10bcd50bf142a.png

The "Interior (from pub 1)" file at the top of my screenshot is the original file last saved under Publisher 1, the others are copies of the same file saved by Publisher 2.

Edit: I'm using Windows 11, so technically this is I guess the wrong part of the forum for me to chime in, but it was relevant otherwise so I figured why not. Sorry if I'm just adding noise though!

Edited by Luke Graybill
note about OS

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, plam.mi said:

Link please? (having the same issue in v2.0.4)

I don't see another post about this from BradNY, and they have not signed-in to the site since the day that comment was posted.

If you're having a problem, you can simply start your own topic and provide the details.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1