You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking for a proofreader familiar with Affinity Publisher

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @Rebelartist

I think you may be breaking the rules of the site with this thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/guidelines/
A moderator will probably give you further guidance.

Screenshot 2022-01-20 082956.png

I know we've seen similar requests before, and this is the standard response, but is asking for help with finding (e.g.) a proof reader any different from asking about (e.g.) DAMs?  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

There’s a fine line with this sort of thing and I don’t know which side of that line this particular thread comes down on, which is why I said that a moderator might have a better response.
As you say, there have been many requests in the forums for “Can someone suggest an application/service which can do <this>?” that have not been stopped by the moderators so it’s difficult for me to say what Serif want from the forums in this way.
I think all we users can do is make the OP aware that there might be a problem with the posting and let Serif do, or not do, something about it as they see fit.

One consideration in this case is that the OP is not asking for help using an Affinity application, nor is the book about an Affinity application. Any proofreader would be able to proofread the book, with no knowledge of Affinity at all. Potentially the proofreader does not even need art knowledge.

Thus the question seems totally irrelevant to this forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, IanSG said:

is asking for help with finding (e.g.) a proof reader any different from asking about (e.g.) DAMs?  

Though both requests have in common that answers can alternatively be done with a search outside the forum (internet, professional magazines) the request for a proofreader is asking for someone who does the job whereas a requested software would enable me to do the job myself. Asking for a proofreader feels rather like asking for a designer (e.g. "who can create a logo for me?"). Inside Affinity forums I would expect it rather in a "Share…" than in this "How to…" forum.

Additionally, for proofreading the topic's condition "familiar with APub" doesn't sound useful, imho. Proofreading should always happen with the output data (e.g. a print pdf), not inside the layout application, for instance to avoid issues which might occur on export only (e.g. font issues, layout mistakes).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Aside from the forum rules...

@Rebelartist You'd rather find a proofreader able to do a good job, and you just need to send her/him a PDF. Then, (s)he'll send you an annoted PDF or another document listing the required modifications, and asking you to validate some changes in text when (s)he'll find it need rephrasing.

And YOU'll do the corrections carefully in APub, to get you document perfect. If you're lucky, you'll have also comments about the document, the chapters or paragraphs order, etc., it's more a publisher's job, but external advices are always useful.

• Staff
15 hours ago, Rebelartist said:

I've written an Art instruction book in Publisher. Now I need a proofreader/ editor to catch my grammar issues etc. Somebody please help me!

Not sure if you're wanting to pay for this service but it's against our guidelines to do so through the forum. However, I don't see the issue with you asking other users to recommend or share their experiences with third party proofreading services but we do not support or endorse any of the opinions expressed 😅

As @thomaso and @Wosven have already mentioned above, you would be better off searching outside of this forum for a good proofreader and send them a PDF version of your document.

Thanks guys, sorry to bother you all. I really appreciate the idea of finding an outside proofreader an doing my own edits from there. Doh, makes a lot of sense cheers @Wosven and the rest of you 😁 

I love Publisher btw. I've sort of taught myself the program as I did the book. My idea was to write and design the book at the same time and I'm happy with the result so far!

8 hours ago, thomaso said:

1st corr.: there are no page numbers

That being the case …

8 hours ago, thomaso said:

page 4 reminds me to https://www.kunstaufraeumen.ch/en/

… what do you mean by “page 4”? :P

Thanks for the amusing link!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I started to read it and I had never as best I remember heard of Notan before, so this thread has helped me to learn about something.

As it happens i am trying to read the pages on a 13 inch labtop computer and i am having to move really close to the screen.

I cannot read the captions under the pictures.

Is there a reason why the text of the captions is smaller than the text of the paragraphs? Maybe it works better like that.

So I am wondering what page size the book is to have.

As for page numbers, would they look out of place in this book.

Does an art book need to have page numbers?

I like the way that the pictures are set out with the text.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

25 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Is there a reason why the text of the captions is smaller than the text of the paragraphs? Maybe it works better like that.

That's pretty standard in most books I've seen, as far as I recall.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

As it happens i am trying to read the pages on a 13 inch labtop computer and i am having to move really close to the screen.

Recent versions of Windows have a built-in screen magnifier.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

1. As it happens i am trying to read the pages on a 13 inch labtop computer and i am having to move really close to the screen.

2. I cannot read the captions under the pictures.

1. So I am wondering what page size the book is to have.

3. As for page numbers, would they look out of place in this book.
    Does an art book need to have page numbers?

1. You should look t the orignal image (opening it in another tab), and it'll be easier to read.
Small screen aren't usually the best to read (especially image), and file type we can easily zoom in, like PDF, that have vectors for text are better.

The screen shots don't give a clue, but usually art/photography, etc. books are larger than pocket books, to display large illustrations.

2. Captions, being less important than the regular text, are always or usually smaller than the body text. That's part of the hierarchy of the text, giving the bigger size to the most important parts: book title > chapter titles (or different titles, hence the usual header 1, header 2, etc.) > subtitles > regular text > Captions > Copyrights…

3. Every book need page numbers, or you won't be able to add a table of contents, refer to its content, etc. Even epub get them sometimes, not visible but in the code as anchors or dislayed by the reader app, and if people use the same size for text, they can have similar pages.

I suppose such things are used today when studying, so teacher and students can look at the same page when using modern devices :)