You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection from mask substract from another selection to create a new mask

hey, I'm switching from Adobe to Affinity and I don't know how subtract one selection from another. I made two masks and I know already how to make selection from mask and how to add one selection to another but I am not able to find answere how to subustract them. If there is a person, and I assume there is, that made the same switching as me : from PS to AP - could you help, please? :)

Welcome to the forum @PracowniaBuszu

You can use the Channel panel for selection subtraction.

1. Select the channel panel, you will notice there is a pixel selection channel, without a selection it is all black. Making a selection will show as white on the black pixel selection icon
  2. You can right click on the pixel selection channel icon and choose Create Spare Channel, you will see a new channel called "Spare channel"
  3. Now move the selection in the workspace so that it still overlaps where it used to be.
  4. Now right click on the Spare channel and select Subtract From Pixel Selection, you should see a chunk taken off the pixel selection in the workspace

note: You can make multiple spare channels and subtract each spare channel from the active selection in the workspace.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

51 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Welcome to the forum @PracowniaBuszu

You can use the Channel panel for selection subtraction.

1. Select the channel panel, you will notice there is a pixel selection channel, without a selection it is all black. Making a selection will show as white on the black pixel selection icon
  2. You can right click on the pixel selection channel icon and choose Create Spare Channel, you will see a new channel called "Spare channel"
  3. Now move the selection in the workspace so that it still overlaps where it used to be.
  4. Now right click on the Spare channel and select Subtract From Pixel Selection, you should see a chunk taken off the pixel selection in the workspace

note: You can make multiple spare channels and subtract each spare channel from the active selection in the workspace.

Hi, it is nice to meet you. Now, as I have chosen AP as my main application to use in my work I will be here often. :)

Thank you very much, I wouldn't have figured it out alone. Really it was very helpful. In PS it is a little bit easier unfortunately...😅 Thank you once again :)

Edited by PracowniaBuszu
only cosmetic changes in grammar and writing a few words of welcome to my interlocutor :)

Glad to help, Affinity can be a bit quirky for sure..

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 weeks later...