You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save as anything but Affinity File Format

Hi,

I am trying to save my file in a PNG format however all I am able to save in is Affinity File Format as shown by the screenshot.

Yes, it is a paid for licence that I am using.

I did have to recently have to reinstall the software due to a new hard drive being installed on my PC.

Any help/advice would be most welcome, thanks

affinity.png

9 minutes ago, henryg said:

Should be able to set a default of choice IMO

The last export preset is always used, so this would be a kind of default. Or when you are on Windows edit "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\Settings\Export.xml". Change to <Format>JPG</Format> and <ExportFormat Format="JPG" Preset="Here the name of your preset" /> and write-protect the file afterwards to keep your setting.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

1 hour ago, henryg said:

I always use jpgs

If you use only JPEG, then Save after opening this file also works, no need to export.
image.png.808564cca78d5b3e1df924cadb25b3c9.png

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/GetStarted/save.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:45 AM, Pšenda said:

If you use only JPEG, then Save after opening this file also works, no need to export.

It does, OMG! Has it always been like this? I thought I changed it as Affinity kept trying to save in its own format.

BUT I now much prefer the Export dialogue to a "blind" save as it gives more info and control.

Following on from @joe_l post above, I tried editing export.xml to <Preview>True</Preview> but that didn't appear to do anything - previous setting was 'False'.

16 minutes ago, henryg said:

I tried editing export.xml to <Preview>True</Preview>

I did not mention Preview. Edit: Maybe it was just meant as a flag to show or not to show the Preview button in the export dialogue in earlier stages of development?

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

3 hours ago, joe_l said:

I did not mention Preview. Edit: Maybe it was just meant as a flag to show or not to show the Preview button in the export dialogue in earlier stages of development?

Indeed you did not, sorry!

I should have said that based on your comment I tried to see if changing Preview to True brought up a dialogue similar to Export; it didn't.

22 minutes ago, henryg said:

I tried to see if changing Preview to True brought up a dialogue similar to Export; it didn't.

The Preview Setting is when exporting to PDF, which has the option "Preview export when complete"

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.