You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A serious Affinity PDF software?

Hi everyone again lot of compliments.

I was thinking. Is there a PDF software in your mind? There are a lot over there but all missing the Pre-Flight and Pre Production with Output Preview, Ink Manager and all this stuff that we need in our designer job.

I know in 2016 the new DTP software will be out to preview and i was wondering with a proper PDF software you will really crack on the market as the only real complete alternative solution.

What do you think?

Best

Marco

Yea sounds more like a publisher feature than a separate app to me

I think this will be included in publisher or at least in a publisher update like we see it nowadays with AD/ AP

Giving Publisher great PDF creation & editing features is not what Marco was asking for. He's looking for a pre-production proofing tool.

Hi everyone again lot of compliments.

I was thinking. Is there a PDF software in your mind? There are a lot over there but all missing the Pre-Flight and Pre Production with Output Preview, Ink Manager and all this stuff that we need in our designer job.

I know in 2016 the new DTP software will be out to preview and i was wondering with a proper PDF software you will really crack on the market as the only real complete alternative solution.

What do you think?

Best

Marco

I agree completely. Acrobat's pre-flight and proofing features are awesome, and as far as I can tell, totally unique. I have not been able to find a single PDF viewer/editor that allows me to preview colour separations that allows me to check overprint, knockout, spot colours and single black mixes (a sure sign of a potential RGB error). I started design when everything that went to print became litho positives with a chromalin colour proof to check that everything was correct. Now we export a PDF, email it and just pray the printer is using a genuine PDF-based workflow and not importing the file into Corel Draw.

I think Affinity has an awesome opportunity to create a really stripped down PDF viewer that has the sole purpose of proofing PDFs for print. Honestly, I'd pay $100 for it because at this very moment, Acrobat is the ONLY Adobe application I can't fully replace with a decent alternative.

Giving Publisher great PDF creation & editing features is not what Marco was asking for. He's looking for a pre-production proofing tool.

As I am not from the publishing industry I am not super familiar with the workflow. However I still think this should be a part of publisher as it is a part of the publisher workflow. It does however sound like it should be its own persona which I think is perfectly fitting to what you are describing as this seems to be a step in the publishing workflow.

• 4 weeks later...

It can't be in the publisher software. When you receive a proof it is a PDF file and is better to open with a PDF software without any complications and stuff that you don't need for this job. 

DTP is something different. you create your layout and you can export or print your High Res or Postscript file or PDF.