You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Degraded image after resizing document

I tried to reduce the .jpg image with "document resizing" using the default settings.

Resize document from 1667px to 1000px Reasample Nearest Neighbour.

Why the resized image is very degraded?

In attached you can see the original image and resized image.

post-13344-0-18232600-1449482299_thumb.png

post-13344-0-77073500-1449482327_thumb.png

post-13344-0-01009100-1449482427_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried all of the resizing re-interpolation algorithms, including both Lanczos ones, and the resizing is still not good. And the bigger the step down, the worse it is. Especially when using type. I have also tried resizing in smaller steps – e.g from 100%, to 70% to 50% – this is better, but, I am afraid to say not anywhere as good as other mainstream programs. I resize a lot – if this could be improved this would be fantastic. In the meantime, I jump in to PS for this particular function. (sorry)

• 2 weeks later...

I have figured out the resizing problem! Before resizing, it is VERY important to Rasterise your image (Right-click, Rasterise). And then once resized, I recommend raterising once more. This completely fixes this resizing problem. Using the various options makes fine improvements, but even with the default, this rasterising approach works.

I'm no programmer, but it seems that Afinity "holds" the image in memory, until such time that you "lock it in", using rasterise, or exporting to a final file. By adding a resize in there clearly seems to confuse Afinity, as it seems to resize using some sort of proxy screen image, that is not actually the actual hi-res image. Anyway, that is how I rationalise it to myself.

Happy once more :-)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.