You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac Designer: Same-size stroke appears different size on placed images

File attached.

I placed an image, gave it a stroke of 1pt. placed another, also gave 1pt stroke, but its stroke appears to be significantly larger than the other, 1-pt stroked placed image.

Any clues as to why this is happening? I've messed with the settings of the second image, can't get it to have the same weight stroke despite what the numeric value for stroke says.

Thank you for any clues!

placed image stroke problem.afdesign

In your .afdesign the different showing stroke width is caused by the clipping rectangle layer which obviously prevents full width visibility by hiding the outer half of a centred stroke. This feels like being a bug of clipping or of the vector crop tool.

Here I first increased your strokes of both images to 10 pt for more clearness:

595403713_strokewidthclippingrect1.thumb.jpg.83627133638d03e729ee78041c9b223d.jpg

If the clipping rectangle gets deactivated the image occurs with full stroke width:

531278967_strokewidthclippingrect2.thumb.jpg.9db809948eda19add6514ba105a73aed.jpg

… while the rectangle has no stroke assigned:

1042492248_strokewidthclippingrect3.jpg.c85a14865ed4c5e4f5b7ed8320e6b89d.jpg

As a workaround you could alternatively assign the strokes not as centred but as inside aligned:

630320918_strokewidthclippingrect4.thumb.jpg.3ccff7216316100fca3be6f4703b3512.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Thanks for your report @VectorCat!

11 hours ago, thomaso said:

This feels like being a bug of clipping or of the vector crop tool.

I agree, and this appears very similar as my post below, where I covered the Vector Crop tools behaviour when cropping a Picture Frame with a Stroke applied - which will be very similar to applying a stroke to an 'Image' layer -

I'll be sure to 'bump' this development log now with your information provided here :)

11 hours ago, thomaso said:

As a workaround you could alternatively assign the strokes not as centred but as inside aligned:

Another option would be to rasterise the layer once you've finished cropping, then convert the layer to a Curve object. This should retain the shape and fill of the image, but will have removed the crop restraints and should allow the Stroke to be applied as expected!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!