You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Same layer colors cannot be selected in the layer palette in publisher

What's the point of layer color if layers can't be selected by them????

In Designer you can select all layers with the same layer color, for example to edit them. Why can't this be done in Publisher?
That's the same nonsense as conversely it's not possible to format text frame backgrounds in Designer, but you can in Publisher.

Serif glorifies the Studiolink technology, which should make it possible to work across programs and then the functions are not cross-program. That's very sad.

35 minutes ago, RainerH said:

Serif glorifies the Studiolink technology, which should make it possible to work across programs and then the functions are not cross-program.

In Publisher you can switch to the Designer Persona to get the function you want. That's the benefit of StudioLink.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, RainerH said:

Serif glorifies the Studiolink technology, which should make it possible to work across programs and then the functions are not cross-program.

Technically, Studio Link makes it possible to use certain features of the other Affinity apps without having to open or run those app separately (like via the File > Edit in Designer... menu item).

So as @walt.farrell explained, you just need to switch to the Designer persona of APub, where you will find that the Select menu has exactly the same items on it as does the Designer persona of Affinity Designer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

... and That's the answer? To switch to Designer-Persona everytime all Layers with the same color should be selected? That's not a satisfactory solution! No it's just programmer botch. Just like the different behavior of text frame settings, which I described in my initial post.

1 hour ago, RainerH said:

No it's just programmer botch. Just like the different behavior of text frame settings, which I described in my initial post.

The Text Frame situation is a planned (intended) difference between Designer and Publisher as far as I know. So is the Select Same Color function. It is intended, as far as I know, to be exclusive to Designer (and thus also works in the Designer Persona of Publisher).

Possibly someone from Serif will comment further, but they have intentionally chosen which functions to make available in which applications (and Personas), so I see nothing wrong with needing to switch to the Designer Persona to get this function in Publisher. I understand that you may have a different opinion, of course.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Walt,

what is the meaning behind such a philosophy?

I think that was simply overlooked. I assume that most people who buy Publishers also buy Designer and Photo. Only photo may be acquired alone. And maybe designers. But if you buy a publisher, don't you buy everything at once?

Rainer

PS: And by the way: Selecting the same Layer-Color does not work in the Desigener-Persons in Publisher. Not on Windows. An there is one member who says in Publisher vor AppleMac selecting same Color works in Publisher...

2 hours ago, RainerH said:

I think that was simply overlooked.

So do I, here's a quote from Help

To change a layer's tag colour:
  • With a layer (or multiple layers) selected, on the Layers panel, -click and select a new layer tag colour from the pop-up menu.
To select all layers sharing the same name:
  • With a layer selected, on the Layers panel, -click and choose Select Same Name from the pop-up menu.
To select all layers sharing a tag colour:
  • With a layer selected, on the Layers panel, -click and choose Select Same Tag Colour from the pop-up menu.

But only the first one is available

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

On 2/4/2022 at 6:54 PM, RainerH said:

PS: And by the way: Selecting the same Layer-Color does not work in the Desigener-Persons in Publisher. Not on Windows. An there is one member who says in Publisher vor AppleMac selecting same Color works in Publisher...

Yes, this really appears to be an overlook. The feature exists both in Designer and Photo (on both platforms), but not in Windows version of Publisher (not even via Personas). On macOS, the feature is available in all three apps, including across Personas. (If it is a "business strategy" that just misfires on macOS, to urge Publisher users to also get Designer to be able to use the "power" feature of selecting layers by layer tag color or name (now missing in the Windows version of Publisher), I'd imagine it would be available also in Designer Persona.) 

(Some of the posts in this thread seem to refer to a different feature, selecting objects (on spread / artboards) by the kind or specific attributes, which is only available in Designer and via Designer Persona of Publisher, and works similarly on both platforms.)

On 2/4/2022 at 11:54 AM, RainerH said:

And by the way: Selecting the same Layer-Color does not work in the Desigener-Persons in Publisher.

You're right that there's no right-click context menu option for "Select Same Layer Tag Color" in Publisher.

I was confused thinking you meant Layer Color (e.g., the fill color of a rectangle) not Layer Tag Color (which is an attribute in the Layers panel). Sorry.

However, in the Designer Persona of Publisher you have both capabilities, via the Select menu:

image.png.f99d724fc439b1eb884a96011781d961.png

I agree that it should also be present in the Layers panel right-click context menu.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, RainerH said:

The selection by same color isn't available in publisher for windows or I haven't found it yet

I can't tell what your screenshot is showing. Sorry. Probably a combination of non-English UI and too little context (not enough screen showing). I show where to find it in my screenshot (which is from Windows); it's only in the Designer Persona, and only via the Select menu.

If you're not finding it, you might switch to English and see if it shows up. (Or, later, I can switch to German and see if it goes away.)

-- Walt
PC:

8 hours ago, RainerH said:

The selection by same color isn't available in publisher for windows or I haven't found it yet.

It looks like your screenshot shows the menu bar for APub's Publisher Persona. Like @walt.farrell mentioned, the 'select same' menu items are only available in APub's Designer Persona. You must have a copy of AD installed you use that persona, so if you do, switch to that persona & then look in the Select (Auswahlen?) menu for those items.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 2/4/2022 at 8:54 AM, RainerH said:

But if you buy a publisher, don't you buy everything at once?

I happen to have licenses for all three, but the only member of the Affinity suite I am really interested in is Publisher.  I am still happily using CorelDRAW and PhotoPaint, with a bit of Painter for "natural media", in lieu of Affinity Designer and Paint, and don't see any advantage to switching over at this time.  Affinity Publisher, on the other hand, fills a large hole left by the abandonment of Ventura Publisher, and I am using AffPub actively now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

thank you for your Answers. I have all Affinity-Programms installed but why shall I switch the Persona to use the selection by Layer-Color???? That's very boring. If I for example give ah cupple of Textframes the same LAyer color I cam later select them all by this layer color to change settings like the border or fill color. In designer i make a right-click on one of the layer an klick select by layer color (2 clicks). In publisher I have to select a layer, change persona, click on select-menue, click on select same, click on select by layer color, change persona to edit f. e. the textframe fill color (not available in designer...)

• 8 months later...