You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to center a radial fill in a circle?

I am trying to create a radial fill that is centered in a circle.

When I create a circle, give it a fill, and change the fill from linear to radial, the center of the fill is vertically centered, but horizontally it is at the left edge of the circle. I have tried to adjust the variables in the gradient fill dropdown dialog box, but can't find a way to change the horizontal center point of the radial fill to the circle center point. 

Anyone figured this out? It is the default position on most apps that support radial fills, so I figure there's a way.
Or does it need to go on the request list?

If you use the gradient tool you can move one of the points (physically) and center it with snapping activated.

EDIT: I find that it starts in the center if I check radial before I use it.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I'm not sure if I am comprehending you issue correctly. But, if I make a circle, change the fill mode to gradient, then radial fill. Then select the Fill Tool, there is a small button on the top that rotates the gradient. Is that what you were asking for? I was using Designer, I didn't check to see if the command was the same in Photo.

crabtree: Rotation wasn't the issue, the position of the center of the radial gradient was the issue.

I found that Madame's second suggestion worked. Alternately, creating a circle with a normal fill then clicking on the radial fill option in the swatches palette gives one a centered radial gradient.

What doesn't work is starting with a normal fill, choosing "gradient" in the drop down fill menu from the band at the top of the page, which gives you a linear gradient, then switching it to radial, which centers the radial gradient vertically but puts it at the left edge of the circle horizontally.

When I enabled snapping I couldn't find a way to drag the center of the radial gradient from the edge to the center of the circle. 

Hi rtloon,

I believe your issue depends on the snapping settings. Once you select “Snap to Object Bounding Box” as well as “Include Bounding Box Midpoints” you can snap your gradient handles to the center of your circle (i.e. to the center of the bounding box of the circle that is coincident with the center of the circle).

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

• 4 years later...
On 12/6/2015 at 8:33 PM, rtloon said:

I am trying to create a radial fill that is centered in a circle.

When I create a circle, give it a fill, and change the fill from linear to radial, the center of the fill is vertically centered, but horizontally it is at the left edge of the circle. I have tried to adjust the variables in the gradient fill dropdown dialog box, but can't find a way to change the horizontal center point of the radial fill to the circle center point. 

Anyone figured this out? It is the default position on most apps that support radial fills, so I figure there's a way.
Or does it need to go on the request list?

I have that issue right now on Affinity Photo. Where are the handles to move the radial to the center of the ellipse?
I can't imagine to spend 1h to try to find a solution to this basic stuff.

• 2 years later...
On 9/6/2020 at 1:14 PM, Tormy said:

I have that issue right now on Affinity Photo. Where are the handles to move the radial to the center of the ellipse?
I can't imagine to spend 1h to try to find a solution to this basic stuff.

Thank you OP for asking this as I'm new to Affinity Photo and came here to find out how to center the radial gradient as well and then to find out where the gradient handles are.

So I'm posting here for anyone else looking after me that I ended up finding it by selecting the Gradient Tool and then selecting the object. Yes, that simple. ^_^