You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS compatibility

I just started uploading a few simple vectors for istockphoto.com this month, and to my surprise I could actually upload a .eps file created in Affinity Designer to their site without any issues.

Usually I stay away from gradients and opacity though since I experience less compatibility issues by just getting the colours right in the first place, but for realism it would still be nice to be able to do gradients and still have them accepted.

I tried uploading one file that had a two very simple shapes with gradients in it and got this reply:

We regret to inform you that we cannot accept your submission, entitled *** for addition to the iStockphoto library for the following reasons:

Some shapes in your file have rasterized and are not rendering as editable vector objects. This can occur if you've used effects that are not supported in your EPS version (such as drop shadows, transparent objects, glows, etc in AI8 or lower), or are exporting gradient fills from software other than Adobe Illustrator. Please ensure all data in your file exports in an editable vector format."

So it seems the gradient used in Affinity Designer isn't AI10 EPS compatible, which is used as the "lowest common denominator" of .eps files.

There's some more info on compatibility issues in their training manual: 
https://secure.istockphoto.com/help/sell-stock/training-manuals/illustration  with the file format criterions here:

4.1 - File Formats

Vector submissions consist of 1 vector EPS file (Adobe Illustrator 10-compatible), and a separate RGB JPEG preview of your illustration, sized to 1900 x 2800 pixels (minimum).

You are also welcome to include alternate file formats or alternate-color versions in a separate ZIP folder if you wish, although this is not required.

Vector EPS File

The AI10 compatible EPS file is critical to your file's acceptance: without it we can't review your submission.

JPEG Preview

It's critical that your JPEG preview match your illustration, so double-check that you're uploading the correct preview with your vector EPS. The color, subject matter and composition of your JPEG must accurately reflect your EPS, or your illustration will be declined.

You're welcome to make your JPEG larger than 1900 x 2800 pixels if you wish.

Please note, we ask that contributors NOT add captions, close-up views or descriptive text to their preview JPEGs, as this text cannot be translated into different languages. Please use the “Title” and “Description” fields to describe your image instead (for more information on titles and descriptions please see the Metadata chapter of this manual).

Alternate Files (optional)

You may upload alternate file formats (such as AI, FH, Corel or PDF files), or alternate-color versions of your illustration if you choose. Your alternate files must be placed in a ZIP folder, which is uploaded separately from your AI10 EPS and preview image. Please note, the ZIP folder is optional and you are not required to include other file formats if you don't wish to.

Please do not include personalized text messages or other items not related to your illustration in your alternate file folder. ZIP folders containing additional messages or anything unrelated to your illustration will be declined.

DO

• Save your vector file as an Adobe Illustrator 10-compatible EPS file.
  • Create a separate JPEG thumbnail of your file, sized 1900 x 2800 pixels (minimum).
  • Submit alternate file formats and/or alternate-color versions of your illustration in a separate ZIP folder if you wish (optional).

DO NOT
  • Upload AICS+ vector EPS files: These files cannot be opened into some vector software programs.
  • Include personalized notes or other unrelated files in your ZIP folder.
  • Add captions, titles, or descriptive text to your preview JPEGs: This text cannot be translated into different languages.

The reason why I'm posting this is since Affinity Designer seems to be aimed for the professional market, so I thought I'd post a heads up on what certain sites require for files to be accepted for sale.

I've also had a few issues with joining paths, is there a "cmd + J" like hotkey I could use to join two anchor points to create a combined "curve"?

I just started uploading a few simple vectors for istockphoto.com this month, and to my surprise I could actually upload a .eps file created in Affinity Designer to their site without any issues.

Usually I stay away from gradients and opacity though since I experience less compatibility issues by just getting the colours right in the first place, but for realism it would still be nice to be able to do gradients and still have them accepted.

I tried uploading one file that had a two very simple shapes with gradients in it and got this reply:

We regret to inform you that we cannot accept your submission, entitled *** for addition to the iStockphoto library for the following reasons:

Some shapes in your file have rasterized and are not rendering as editable vector objects. This can occur if you've used effects that are not supported in your EPS version (such as drop shadows, transparent objects, glows, etc in AI8 or lower), or are exporting gradient fills from software other than Adobe Illustrator. Please ensure all data in your file exports in an editable vector format."

So it seems the gradient used in Affinity Designer isn't AI10 EPS compatible, which is used as the "lowest common denominator" of .eps files.

There's some more info on compatibility issues in their training manual: 
https://secure.istoc...s/illustration  with the file format criterions here:

4.1 - File Formats

Vector submissions consist of 1 vector EPS file (Adobe Illustrator 10-compatible), and a separate RGB JPEG preview of your illustration, sized to 1900 x 2800 pixels (minimum).

You are also welcome to include alternate file formats or alternate-color versions in a separate ZIP folder if you wish, although this is not required.

Vector EPS File

The AI10 compatible EPS file is critical to your file's acceptance: without it we can't review your submission.

JPEG Preview

It's critical that your JPEG preview match your illustration, so double-check that you're uploading the correct preview with your vector EPS. The color, subject matter and composition of your JPEG must accurately reflect your EPS, or your illustration will be declined.

You're welcome to make your JPEG larger than 1900 x 2800 pixels if you wish.

Please note, we ask that contributors NOT add captions, close-up views or descriptive text to their preview JPEGs, as this text cannot be translated into different languages. Please use the “Title” and “Description” fields to describe your image instead (for more information on titles and descriptions please see the Metadata chapter of this manual).

Alternate Files (optional)

You may upload alternate file formats (such as AI, FH, Corel or PDF files), or alternate-color versions of your illustration if you choose. Your alternate files must be placed in a ZIP folder, which is uploaded separately from your AI10 EPS and preview image. Please note, the ZIP folder is optional and you are not required to include other file formats if you don't wish to.

Please do not include personalized text messages or other items not related to your illustration in your alternate file folder. ZIP folders containing additional messages or anything unrelated to your illustration will be declined.

DO

• Save your vector file as an Adobe Illustrator 10-compatible EPS file.
  • Create a separate JPEG thumbnail of your file, sized 1900 x 2800 pixels (minimum).
  • Submit alternate file formats and/or alternate-color versions of your illustration in a separate ZIP folder if you wish (optional).

DO NOT
  • Upload AICS+ vector EPS files: These files cannot be opened into some vector software programs.
  • Include personalized notes or other unrelated files in your ZIP folder.
  • Add captions, titles, or descriptive text to your preview JPEGs: This text cannot be translated into different languages.

The reason why I'm posting this is since Affinity Designer seems to be aimed for the professional market, so I thought I'd post a heads up on what certain sites require for files to be accepted for sale.

I've also had a few issues with joining paths, is there a "cmd + J" like hotkey I could use to join two anchor points to create a combined "curve"? 

Hi tcarisland, 

Adobe Illustrator's method of producing editable EPS files, with gradient fills, is proprietary to Adobe. 

This makes it compatible only with Adobe Illustrator. 

Compatibility issues used to occur between users of Adobe Illustrator & Aldous/Macromedia Freehand, both softwares being generally accepted in the professional market at the time. 

With keyboard shortcuts for joining paths, the Beta allows for the user to create custom shortcuts (bare in mind that the default shortcut for duplication is already cmd-J):  

post-10932-0-92501400-1449387693_thumb.png

The next Mac App Store update should have this feature included, along with a raft of others. 

Paul. 

I suspected that might be the case (gradients being a proprietary implementation issue), I still thought it needed mentioning, so that it might be possible for future releases it's possible to make sure files are AI10 compatible when exporting eps.

Maybe a warning or option is in order when exporting eps, so that when trying to export a file that involves gradients to convert the curve colours to a non gradient one?

It would be very helpful if an AI10 compatible mode could be added to document settings, which disables functions of AD leading to AI10 incompatible files right at the start. This would reduce brain pollution for inexperienced designers while designing, not having to watch out for possible incompatibility interrupting the workflow.

It's kinda sad that you can't use AD's strenghts for print work, but it's still the better tool for simple stuff in my opinion.

• 4 months later...

So if my understanding of the above comments is correct, right now gradients made with AD do not comply with vector standards of stock agencies like iStockphoto?  I had my EPS image rejected by Dreamstime recently because of rasterisation and I'm at my wits end trying to identify which part was rasterised.  I did use gradient in my image but I don't know if that was the reason.  

The rejection message was "Unfortunately, the additional format you have submitted was not selected.The reason was: The file contains raster (bitmap) elements. This can happen when exporting to a file format that does not support certain types of gradients (such as transparency gradients) or effects (drop shadows, glows, gaussian blurs etc). Please check the exported file and either use generic effects (such as meshes or non-transparent gradients) or choose a more compatible format when exporting."  

Just to share, I did not use any sort of adjustment or FX or transparent gradients (opacity was 100% for all elements).  Anyway, just dropping this message for others to read, especially new designers, because I'm one and there's a lot to learn in this field if we start from another.  Also, if there are tips on how to troubleshoot which part of an image was rasterised, I highly appreciate it.

It depends on the gradients. Simple linear, radial and elliptical gradients should be fine, at PostScript level 3. Affinity has a Conical gradient, which EPS does not support. Noise in colours, or transparency, or blend modes will also cause rasterising . Have you tried importing the EPS you just exported back into Affinity, and then using the Layers tabs to look for unexpected images? That can help track down which objects got rasterised.

Thanks so much Dave Harris and MEB for your replies!

At least now I know what to do (or not to do) when creating vector files for stock agencies that require compatibility with AI.  A bit disheartening to learn that there's no way around this, but at least the issue was identified. I hope this can be resolved someday.  Anyway, I'm glad AD users have great support in this forum from staff and moderators. So although AD has certain limitations, rest assured users can always ask for help and be helped out of their issues fast.

• 9 months later...

This has been my experience working with artwork I've created in AD that I have to import into Sketch. Any gradient I've created so far in AD has been rasterised in Sketch. I've had to change my workflow to remove or not use gradients in AD and only after importing my artwork into Sketch apply any gradients at that point. Which is a pain because I can't create final AD artwork file, instead having to create 2 files with the addition of a final Sketch artwork document containing the final artwork with gradients.

It's one of the few issues I've had with Affinity Designer that really negatively affect my workflow.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the sense of having Affinity if you'll need another application to be successful creating acceptable EPS files?

A bit rhetorical really, but still.

As long as I don't use effects such as drop shadows or Gaussian blurs, which rasterize at export, I have been successful at exporting EPS files with gradients in CorelDRAW and Xara (both Windows only). Xara has been the most reliable. That's been some years ago. Imagine my surprise then when I discovered Affinity was not successful at exporting this file type.

I have also been somewhat successful at exporting PDFs or SVGs with AD, but they are very unpredictable. Most of the time all shapes/colors are banded, captured in a clipping mask, and sometime the gradients go in crazy directions. All of which are pretty much useless.

I want to work with software that does everything I need it to. Sadly, if I want to continue to uploading to the stock sites or supply customers with eps or ai files compatible file, I will be using Illustrator.