You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

dealing with corrupt files or "unable to save" situations

• Staff

@thomaso I've not forgotten about this post :)

I've been working on a Publisher document and left it 5 days between saving and was still unable to get the error, which is a shame. I will pass the information to our QA team to see if it's something they can look into further to try and replicate. Thanks again for your continued patience.

• Staff

@thomaso Me again, sorry. Is it possible to send us one of the documents you were using? Might make it easier for us to narrow down the issue. If it is, please send it as a package and if you need a Dropbox link to upload it to, please let me know.

@Leigh, which one do you want? Aside the healthy current file version of "twitter.afpub" I still have two broken versions of it (one of the two .afpubs mentioned in the screenshots above which refused to open):

879711514_apubcorruptedfilessamples.jpg.b2cd204d2d84e6073f894d19744fd125.jpg

Since I usually add content only the two broken and larger .afpubs seem to contain data garbage which probably was removed in the current version by a Save As.

Since the two broken files don't open any more I could not create a package of them but can send them as they are (as .ZIP?).
Instead or additionally I could send the current, healthy version which contains the same images. (Before packing I'd need to fix some missing image links that I either just moved or, unfortunately, occasionally have renamed after their use in .afpub was done.) – So which of that 3 do you want?

However, for an upload I'd prefer your dropbox.
According to the summary I guess the packed size of "twitter.afpub" would be a few hundred MB.

389734945_apubpackagesamplesummary.jpg.5d312c6dbc1d5a8d87bc6009f2c49f8e.jpg

Also, I think I could find the other mentioned ("v1105 .afpub") in a backup. Let me know if it would be useful, too.
(I remember I had tried one then and it didn't open either, so I assume it was a backup of the same .afpub version which didn't open some days later.)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I can seriously recommend Serif to take it even more seriously. It was one thing that almost single-handedly plucked Affinity out of our evaluation. It's something that needs to be pro-actively investigated. systematically, persistently, thoroughly and patiently.

We also experienced such errors - and quite a few others - some error dialogs were apparently erroneous, as the files could be saved and reopened anyway. But the pattern was clear, add real complexity to the documents, and then come the real problems. 

But such a persistent problem with data loss - regardless of whether the customer takes backup - no go. It worked better than cold washes with ice water here. "No thanks."

We experienced several such failures on lightning-fast machines on the primary drive, which I don't think is an exotic configuration, so it was critical discovery, and it's a particularly critical failure.

The applications as such are otherwise pleasantly bug-free (and thank you for that), but this...

Psst to you out there. Never leave programs or files open for days or hours, unless the program is working on something or you are at the machine.

Turn off when you leave. Turn it on when you come in the morning. Computers look cool on the surface, but you have no idea how much a reboot equals a good night's sleep after a long march.

18 hours ago, Customer Feedback said:

Psst to you out there. Never leave programs or files open for days or hours, unless the program is working on something or you are at the machine.

Turn off when you leave. Turn it on when you come in the morning. Computers look cool on the surface, but you have no idea how much a reboot equals a good night's sleep after a long march.

I fixed the problems a friend had by asking her when was the last time she turned off her computer. It was months ago, all the problems went away. Full disclosure, I am guilty of leaving my MacBook on for weeks at a time. I do know better.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
On 8/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, thomaso said:

@Leigh, which one do you want? Aside the healthy current file version of "twitter.afpub" I still have two broken versions of it (one of the two .afpubs mentioned in the screenshots above which refused to open):

879711514_apubcorruptedfilessamples.jpg.b2cd204d2d84e6073f894d19744fd125.jpg

Since I usually add content only the two broken and larger .afpubs seem to contain data garbage which probably was removed in the current version by a Save As.

Since the two broken files don't open any more I could not create a package of them but can send them as they are (as .ZIP?).
Instead or additionally I could send the current, healthy version which contains the same images. (Before packing I'd need to fix some missing image links that I either just moved or, unfortunately, occasionally have renamed after their use in .afpub was done.) – So which of that 3 do you want?

However, for an upload I'd prefer your dropbox.
According to the summary I guess the packed size of "twitter.afpub" would be a few hundred MB.

389734945_apubpackagesamplesummary.jpg.5d312c6dbc1d5a8d87bc6009f2c49f8e.jpg

Also, I think I could find the other mentioned ("v1105 .afpub") in a backup. Let me know if it would be useful, too.
(I remember I had tried one then and it didn't open either, so I assume it was a backup of the same .afpub version which didn't open some days later.)

If you could package up the file that works and its resources, that would be great. Feel free to also upload the corrupted files - might be useful to our QA team.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/2PCfg2wbwXnOSX178KWu

Thanks again.

22 hours ago, Leigh said:

If you could package up the file that works and its resources, that would be great. Feel free to also upload the corrupted files - might be useful to our QA team.

I uploaded two .zip files, one with 3 .afpubs (1 package, 2 broken) and one with several related error messages which varied in contents with different trials to re-open the .afpubs. The most oddity is that those errors happen occasionally only + mainly don't occur during work but appear to get triggered only either by "Save" (while neither .afpub path or name were changed) or when accessing APub after a working break (incl. mac sleep) with the .afpubs permanently opened.

In did not fix all missing image links. It would need too much time to identify those images I had moved + renamed after placing and exporting them as wanted. Since the issues with my two daily afpubs happen occasionally only I assume it is not the missing links which trigger the errors. Same for a few missing fonts.

Also I noticed when fixing missing items that often the "Relink" option did not work though file names were identically. On the last page of the .afpackage are some samples which I copied manually into the packed folder. They should not be missing at all but rather be reported as "modified" because they got re-saved only, not renamed. (After placing them I had moved + resaved them. It appears that this combination of move + resave prevents APub  / Resource Manager to recognize them even if I point APub to the correct path.

I don't need any .afpub to get fixed but I am interested …
… what is causing these occasional issues in my two daily .afpubs with only locally save data?
… how can I prevent the issues?
… is there possibly any system report saved on disk which may help to detect the culprit?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Thanks very much, will pass to QA.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:46 PM, thomaso said:

I don't need any .afpub to get fixed but I am interested …
… what is causing these occasional issues in my two daily .afpubs with only locally save data?
… how can I prevent the issues?

Of course  - whatever QA find, we will let you know.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:46 PM, thomaso said:

… is there possibly any system report saved on disk which may help to detect the culprit?

There's nothing in the app we can enable to create a log file but you could enable streaming in Console and use <Any> affinity in the search box to filter messages to anything related to Affinity. Not sure if you'll find any useful but it's worth checking. The other option would be to use a third party app called Sloth to see what Affinity as open in the background: https://sveinbjorn.org/sloth

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "Saving Failed increasing frequency of reports" (REF: AFP-4826) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.1 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us