You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Correct display of attributes

Currently, when I select more text, and this text is not all formatted equally (for example some characters is narrower etc.) The text attribute palette shows me that all the text selected has the same properties, this is wrong.
This problem happens both with the selection of the text and with the selection of text boxes, both with the selection of other types of objects and forms, for text attributes and for color and trace attributes.
For a correct display of multiple text properties, you should see a red bar or a alarm symbol (see image attached).
This is very important for all affinity programs and in particular for Publishers.

Current view.png

Correct new view.png

I agree.
For a little bit of extra information my screenshot shows an instance where the text “Sed lacinia” is formatted with Tracking at -40% and Horizontal Scale at 200% but selecting the text that you can see selected gives a misleading indication of Tracking at 0% and Horizontal Scale at 100% (which are the settings for the text 'outside' the re-formatted text).

Screenshot 2022-01-13 083532.png

Certainly GarryP, this happens for all properties and not just the text. If you select three rectangles: one without a border, one with a thin border and the last with a thick border, you will see, that depending on the selection order, the display of this property in the "color palette" will change and will not be correct.

5 minutes ago, rizzosan67 said:

that depending on the selection order, the display of this property in the "color palette" will change and will not be correct

One part that drives me insane sometimes. Why not leave values or colours blank to indicate that there are mixed attributes? ID is doing it the same way.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

On 1/13/2022 at 1:54 PM, rizzosan67 said:

I am thinking if it can be considered a bug or in any case a design error...

I think this is just an "unfinished" design 🙂

On 1/13/2022 at 10:19 AM, joe_l said:

Why not leave values or colours blank to indicate that there are mixed attributes? ID is doing it the same way.

I think that this should be dealt with in a fundamentally identical way, which will suit all cases of inconsistent values.
How would you handle by "blank" value, for example, a mismatch between the options in the Stroke panel - different types of Cap, Join, Align, different widths, different line styles, etc.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 minute ago, Pšenda said:

How would you handle by "blank" value, for example, a mismatch between the options in the Stroke panel - different types of Cap, Join, Align, different widths, different line styles, etc.

Buttons unselected or not showing any width for example. Anything better than having NO indication that there are mixed values.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta