You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can Affinity Designer replace InDesign for me?

I use InDesign to create multi paged presentations (Director Treatments).  They are comprised of photos and big bodies of text.  

I would love to replace InDesign with Affinity if possible.  I noticed that the new Beta version allows Multiple pages.    For all of you layout guys/gals that are using AD, what do you think, is it time to switch? 

Some of the features I use a lot:

• Master Pages for design elements that repeat on every page (logos & page numbers)

• And a ton of linked photos, that I'm constantly moving around or re-linking after I update or tweak.

• Text formating

• Docuements are usually 15 pages long

• Hyper Links in my text

• Export to PDF (with active hyperlinks)

Hi rupeman,

and welcome here …  :)

As MBd said, your question is to be answered in the negative. Affinity Designer is not a desktop publishing solution, but a vector (and pixel) design application. Apart from all the requirements you have listed, it is impossible to thread text frames in Affinity Designer, so I fear this will be the first and foremost obstacle to realizing your plan of using Affinity Designer as a desktop publishing application. But as MBd rightly noted, there will be a DTP solution presented by Serif next year.

Kind regards, Alex  :)

So you might better wait for Affinity Publisher late 2016...

But as MBd rightly noted, there will be a DTP solution presented by Serif next year.

Not next year: "Expected to be in beta by the end of 2016 and launch later in 2017”

And those expectations are no promises. In July the launch was in 2015.

Even AD still has not all basic features (after years). For example, Canvas Draw 2 for Mac has and perhaps more than Publisher will have. We can hope Serif is quicker than they expect.

• 1 year later...