You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hexadecimal color code (improvements)

• Staff

Hex is an expression of RGB - not HSL, the models are directly convertible without (much) loss, but the designer is "thinking" in one of the two, not both. We could put it in there, but most people set their colour panel for the job they are doing once, then stick with it - we thought it was nicer to keep it clean and uncluttered..

Wheel is also an HSL based model - same deal.

If this turns out to be a big deal, we could consider it - but I think it's weird.. I mean, why not have LAB input boxes on the HSL wheel too, or Greyscale??

AndyS

Ah, nice, this was a request of mine too.  :)

It's still a little hidden IMO. I feel like it should be a universal (optional?) box below the colour menu. It's tremendously useful to be able to cut and paste specific colour values, even if you're not doing web development.

Speaking only for myself, I like to see this even when working in HSL or other modes. The different modes are just different ways of creating the colours I want, and the hex value is just a convenient way of transporting that information.

Also, if possible, it'd be nice if it supported RGBA (alpha) values.

• 3 weeks later...
Speaking only for myself, I like to see this even when working in HSL or other modes. The different modes are just different ways of creating the colours I want, and the hex value is just a convenient way of transporting that information.

+ 1 !!! i also requested this in another thread.

Exactly. I find HSL the easiest (most intuitive) way to find the color I want, but I most often need to use it in rgb/hex

• 2 years later...

+1 from me. Hex color box needs to be there all the times. It's the only way to copy and paste color values quickly between AD and external sources. It's tedious to keep changing the color mode just to get the hex value box. This has been super frustrating for me in Illustrator, I hope AD can do better.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed, I hate the process of a cumbersome drop-down menu, just to paste a hex code in.

On a similar note, it would be useful to support 3-digit hex codes too (ie. #333 being the shortened version of #333333) as these are regularly used on modern websites. Currently pasting #333 will result in Affinity converting it to #000333, which is obviously a totally different colour.

• 3 months later...
On 10/5/2014 at 11:35 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

Hex is an expression of RGB - not HSL, the models are directly convertible without (much) loss, but the designer is "thinking" in one of the two, not both. We could put it in there, but most people set their colour panel for the job they are doing once, then stick with it - we thought it was nicer to keep it clean and uncluttered..

Wheel is also an HSL based model - same deal.

If this turns out to be a big deal, we could consider it - but I think it's weird.. I mean, why not have LAB input boxes on the HSL wheel too, or Greyscale??

AndyS

Hi Andy,

The hex value is heavily used in ui design. That's why it should be everywhere. Maybe Affinity Photo users don't care much for it, but for Affinity Designer, which is heavily used for ui design, I think it would be almost mandatory :) Also, the color options in AD are also awesome, so also having the HEX value for each model/style (I don't know what it's called) would be awesome :)

Cheers,

Chris

On 06/10/2017 at 5:47 AM, TomM1 said:

I copy and paste hex numbers quite often.

The nice thing about the PS color picker is having HSB, LAB, RGB, CMYK and hex box are all in one window.

How about an extra section in the drop-down for 'Mixed'? When working with UI design and anything with a web element, the starting point is often a hex code.

I've lost count of the number of times I've started with a client's hex code from their website, then introduced a 'darker' and 'lighter' version of the same colour (for a new logo design etc.) The easiest way to do this is by sliding the L up and down on the HSL colour mixer.

In this sort of web-centric workflow, a 'combined' colour picker makes a lot of sense.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/28/2018 at 8:22 PM, Sabeen123 said:

You guys seriously need a good UX person/team to make the interface friendlier. Last comment above me resonate my thoughts.

I agree. While the UX of the app is really great, there are aspects that are not well thought out, and the colors is definitely the first on my list. Gradients too. I can't understand for example why we can't use the eye dropper tool with gradients, like select one of the gradient colors, then select the eye dropper, then click on the color we want. Doing that will change the gradient in a solid color, makes no sense whatsoever. 

I like the Adobe XD UX for colors, and even more, I like the colors UX of UXPin. Combining the hexadecimal code with the HUE type of box makes a lot more sense than combining the hex codes with rgb sliders, not sure how many UI/UX designers actually use that, personally I never did :)

• 1 year later...

Hi, uh, sorry for digging old threads. But I'm currently on free trial on Affinity Designer, and really fell in love with the app.

Currently considering permanent switching from that software from "A" company to this.

Would really appreciate to have it easier way to paste a HEX code  without having to switch to specific color type panel first (how to call it?)

Ye, i mean, it would be nice if we can just click somewhere without using a brain (or not to click at all) and can just paste to HEX code in order to change the fill color of any selected element(s)

That'd be so great...

• 6 months later...

I understand that developers are trying to make it clean and clutter-free, but this "Apple way of thinking" has it's problems like that you have to click through more menus to get what you need. HEX value is just convenient way of copying color around (not only in sw but also from other applications or web).

Personally I would be really happy to still see the HEX value in all color sliders or not having it divided at all. Photoshop has everything mixed in one window - it is not that visually pleasing, but it is faster to work with - which I prioritize. If you prefer to keep it the way it is now, I think there should at least be an option in Color Preferences

• 2 months later...

On Mac:
View > Apple Color Picker > Color Sliders tab > RGB
Has a Hex Color field.

There were also various 3rd party Color Picker plugins available, although some may be downloadable only via archive.org Wayback Machine nowadays:

They work on El Capitan, some may perhaps also work on Catalina and beyond:

And, um, folks…
Don't know for how long it's already been there, but here it is, your built in Affinity Schmotoshop alike clone of a jackofalltrades color picker:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2