You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a memory limit on Affinity Photos sandbox? File number disparity.

I have been having problems saving files from Affinity Photo, meaning the save wheel spins and doesnt stop til a crash.

Upon looking at Affinity Photo‘s memory footprint is about 1.5 gb, data in my sandbox is 15gb.

Using iPad memory usage displays the files that contribute to the sandbox, many of those files are no longer present on the thumbnail desktop but are still in the file list makeup of the sandbox.

It appears that files closed from the thumbnail desktop does not delete them from the sandbox!

Affinity Photo thumbnail count 136

Ipad settings Ipad data file count 205

So why the disparity?

Yes I can delete them from the ipad settings app hopefully that wont corrupt my sandbox.

Is it safe to delete files using the ipad settings for Affinity Photo? Any info whether this may corrupt the sandbox?, and does AP have a 15 gb limit to the sandbox?

There is 80gb of free space on my Ipad

• Staff

Hi Affinity Rat,

In regards to the amount of data being taken up by the app when viewed in your iPad Storage preferences  I believe this will also account for any files stored in the Affinity application folder on your iPad. You should be fine to delete any of these files they should also show in the Affinity Photo folder in "On My iPad" Unfortunately I'm not sure if there is a file size limit to the sandbox.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:13 PM, Callum said:

Unfortunately I'm not sure if there is a file size limit to the sandbox.

It’s an interesting question though. There seem to be a number of reports of files not opening or saving in sandbox and often the posters have large numbers of projects or large projects stored in the gallery. 
Assuming that displaying project files in the gallery uses ram, and older iPads have limited ram, a combination of large files and large numbers of projects in gallery might also prove problematic?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

The file disparity, is still a big unknown,  but the crashes are caused by a shared network drive that is not available to the file system, when AP looks add or modify any file regardless of its physical location.

If the ipad still list the presence of a netwok location, even if that device is not turned on or unavailable AP hangs and crashes. This is why even when files saved on ipad, attempting to open may say downloading!! What nothing to download! , I would have thought it would “time out” and recognize no response, maybe it would but didnt wait 300 secs to see.