You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush context bar: Add ability to rotate brush tip (without editing brush).

Hey. Just more and more finding my place in AP. Just so clean and easy. Even got it stable now, with acceleration. (Maybe it was the newest NVIDIA driver that did it?? Or your newest build??).

Aaanyway - I am emulating RL drawing alot. And your calligraphic marker brush preset rocks, especially when set to 50 % opacity, and drawing on a layer with "darken" blend mode. 

Only thing is, when drawing with brushes with tilt rotation. It really puts a strain on your hand, twisting it to get your thick/thin lines right. 

Solution (drrrrum rrrrroll): One small button for left rotation of brush (or tilt rotation, whatever), and one for right! With possibilty for keyboard shortcut, so it can be easily and without delay rotated while drawing! Possibly another button for rotation reset.

If it takes too much space on the context toolbar, could it be added as a dropdown menu choice?

No more shoulder pain, no more wobbly lines trynig to draw in ridiculous angles! You should take ergonomy seriously - you should take care of us poor artists questionable muscular health!!

--------------------

And please, pretty pretty please, make the brush tip stop rotating along with rotating the view!! It is so hard trying to figure out how the stroke is going to be when you rotate your paper to draw better lines, and the brush rotates along with it! Totally very unintuitive - in RL you would go mad if your marker automatically started to rotate when you rotated the paper :S 

PS: This last request doesn't even add anything, just a simple, and very sensible, change of a function!

BtW. Have I told you Affinity people that i really love AP?

20 minutes ago, Nils-Petter Olsen said:

Solution (drrrrum rrrrroll): One small button for left rotation of brush (or tilt rotation, whatever), and one for right! With possibilty for keyboard shortcut, so it can be easily and without delay rotated while drawing! Possibly another button for rotation reset.

In case it helps, are you aware that the left-arrow and right-arrow keys will rotate the brush while you're painting?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Om my word!!

I was most definitely not aware! 
Okey, skratch that first feature request then - I only really wanted to use keyboard or such for it anyway :)  Now my setup will become close to perfect - thank you Walt!!

Now i love Photo even more!

PS: My second suggestion still stands. The brush shouldn't rotate along with view rotation. Because that is not how the world works.

There wouldn't by any chance be some keystrokes to let you toggle that, would there?
Anyway, thanks again!

38 minutes ago, Nils-Petter Olsen said:

There wouldn't by any chance be some keystrokes to let you toggle that, would there?
Anyway, thanks again!

You're welcome. And no, I'm not aware of any solution for that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1