You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It has been at least seven years since Affinity announced they were making a DAM. Still no word on its progress other than an announcement that people were working on it. Is this going to happen or not? Some kind of information would be helpful for those of us (and others) who have been waiting. Thank you for your time.

I see that you have already made your opinion noted over multiple threads regarding the same issue since 2016, for example:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/31602-dam-photo-manager/
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/102151-affinity-dam/
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/101961-structured-metadata-management/&tab=comments#comment-554488
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/118536-affinity-photo-dam/&tab=comments#comment-664673
Was there really a need to create yet another new thread about something which has already been discussed, and answered?

I think this post from MattP sums things up quite nicely:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/48526-affinity-we-need-clarification-are-you-or-aren’t-you-working-on-a-dam/&do=findComment&comment=282608

If you have not paid for, or been promised, something then you should have no reasonable expectation to get that thing. Serif have not promised that a DAM will become available, they have only said that they have been working on one. That doesn’t necessarily mean that we will eventually get one.

Obviously I don't know for sure, but I would suspect (and hope) that Serif are devoting most of their efforts to providing many of the requested features and improvements to the existing apps, rather than working on a new app. (Not to mention finally producing a version of Publisher for iPad, which has been on the cards for a long time!) They may well be planning to produce a DAM at some point, but I doubt if it is a high priority.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

43 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Earlier in the same thread:

So the answer to

27 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

They may well be planning to produce a DAM at some point, but I doubt if it is a high priority.

is “Yes, they are/were, and work on it had started, but it got put on the back burner so that they could concentrate on getting the three main apps out for all supported platforms.”

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, PaulEC said:

(Not to mention finally producing a version of Publisher for iPad, which has been on the cards for a long time!) They may well be planning to produce a DAM at some point, but I doubt if it is a high priority.

Personally, I think it's a pity, and not exactly a good strategic decision (although I understand, that adding a product portfolio to all platforms makes sense - perhaps because of the company's prestige).
DAM would be usable for all/most ASuite users (Windows and Mac), and would elevate ASuite to a higher/more professional level.
APublisher for iPad will be just a toy*) for a few users.

*) I apologize for using the toy label, but unlike ADesigner for iPad, where drawing on a tablet is definitely meaningful, unlike APhoto for iPad, where in terrain photo processing/editing is also meaningful, I don't think many users will do professional books design on iPad.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

18 hours ago, Pšenda said:

APublisher for iPad will be just a toy*

Personally I agree with you, but a lot of people seem to be waiting for it! I might use APub on iPad for quick edits, simple documents etc, but I certainly wouldn't attempt any big/complex publications. To be honest, I'm never sure how people can use an iPad for any serious work, but I've only just started "playing" with one, so I'm no expert! 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 1/11/2022 at 4:13 PM, Pšenda said:

I don't think many users will do professional books design on iPad.

In the meantime, quite a few people have expectations for Apple's Final Cut Pro arriving on the iPad some day, so why not this?

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 10:25 AM, GarryP said:

Was there really a need to create yet another new thread about something which has already been discussed, and answered?

Well, it kind of mirrors Serif's communication over the last ~7 years, that a DAM was in the works, but no ETA known.

Don't get me wrong - it is perfectly fine not to go into direction of DAM, but then it would be better to comment related questions accordingly. But repeating the same message over and over again over such a period of time just provokes people to ask the same questions.

Additionally, it gives the impression of not being correct or hints to an issue with project management ... in any case it does not build trust with (new) customers.

Edited by MrSwitch
clarification

@photoShooterYour question is well understood because no one ever knew exactly where to Affinity Apps are heading or not. On the other side: they did not request any money for years to pay their development (besides the low application cost for the first license fee). For most users, I assume, it will be more important to get the workflow streamlined inside the existing apps because they came from PS, etc. and were looking for an alternative offer without cloud, without monthly paying, without ...

If it helps: there are other good offers in the market which provide that DAM functionality together with a certain "adaption" to Affinity Apps (show .afphoto thumbnails, drag and drop to AP Editor) together with a fast response in large photo assets. If you are lucky and own a 2 screen working environment or a wide screen that workflow is even more efficient than with that famous bridge.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand that a DAM is seen as less important than new functionality in the existing apps. Let me first add that I really enjoy using affinity's apps and I recommend them to everybody. They are priced fairly, treat their users well and produce great apps. But I have reached a point where my workflow is challenged as long as I stay with Affinity.

I shoot several photos and need a system to rank the photos and add meta data for searching and selecting. I also need to basic edit several files and export several files. I select a few shots that I edit in Affinity Photo. That workflow isn't supported by Affinity's apps. 

Today I use Exposure X7 and I have tried a lot of different solutions like ACDsee, Nero, Adobe Bridge, XnViewXp, Digicam, Nikon's software etc. as a supporting software to Affinity Photo. Exposure X7 support adjustment of several files (copy settings) and and export of several files. It's without a central database and therefore is slow, but easy to move files. It's RAW engine is okay, but not on level with Affinity's.

Earlier I used Adobe Lightroom. Before that I used Canons DPP. Both I liked. Lightroom demand a lot of space on your HD for the database and moving photos has to be done in Lightroom AND I hate their business model. I shoot Nikon today...

I really would like to stay with Affinity, but are very close to give up and just pay the monthly payment for Lightroom to ease my work with my photos. With that monthly fee I also get access to Photoshop. Why stay at Affinity if Lightroom and Photoshop is better integrated?

Personally I prefer a DAM with Affinity's RAW editing integrated than new features and iPad versions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 4:13 PM, Pšenda said:

I don't think many users will do professional books design on iPad.

Maybe not books, but for sure a lot of editing of advertising materials, packaging and labeling, reports, manuals, at the client's office. I've personally been awaiting for a publishing app for the iPad for at least a decade.

I suspect books are just a very small percentage of the publishing projects.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, PaulEC said:

I might use APub on iPad for quick edits, simple documents etc, but I certainly wouldn't attempt any big/complex publications.

Page layout is a work involving a lot of graphic design. Being able to organize elements in a spread by touching them and moving them around would be like a dream. It's a bit like what we were doing when composing with scissors and glue on a table.

Paolo

On 1/12/2022 at 7:00 PM, RNKLN said:

In the meantime, quite a few people have expectations for Apple's Final Cut Pro arriving on the iPad some day, so why not this?

Film directors have been using portable production monitors for a long time. The iPad would be a glorified one – and capable of editing!