You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Brucerx,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Am I right in thinking that nothing is happening after you are using the Inpainting brush or the Heal tool? Or is the app crashing?

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

You may have the wrong layer selected. If I am reading you correctly. In Affinity it is very important to know where you are in your layer selections at all times. Or if you have a blank layer above, you may not have selected the effect all layers below option. In the first case there are times you add an adjustment layer, then go directly to say the healing tool. But you are selected on the adjustment layer, so your healing tool, or inpainting brush appears to have no effect. Check your layer selection and make sure you have your layer with your picture selected. If you are using a non-destructive technique, make sure your scratch layer has the affect all layers below option selected.

If I have misunderstood your problem I apologize. 

In the heal brush you first must select an area you want to use as a replacement. So if your replacement is blurred, cmd-z to cancel your action, reselect a better replacement area and then heal. Again, always get into a habit of checking what layer is selected. I believe the healing brush will always keep your selection, the patch tool will move the absolute value of the selection point to the replacement area as you move. The inpainting brush does not require a previous selection to be made. The others you select an area and then drag to set a replacement point. I am hoping my description isn't more confusing than the process? Sorry if it is.

Oh, and since you didn't mention it specifically. I will run the risk of repeating the obvious. When you select a command to use, the bottom left of the workspace will always show you keyboard commands and steps you need to do for the selection to accomplish its task.