You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best Image Browser for Affinity Photo

On 1/9/2022 at 3:53 AM, LK23 said:

What is the best image browser that recognizes Affinity Photo images?

I am finding that ApolloOne and other image browsers do not recognize the AF image format.

Are you using a PC, since on a Mac or iPad the Finder and Files apps provide the usual thumbnails for .afphoto files to browse through them.

You should probably ask this question in the appropriate support forum

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/50-affinity-support-questions/

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

31 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Are you using a PC, since on a Mac or iPad the Finder and Files apps provide the usual thumbnails to browse through them.

So does Windows File Explorer on a PC!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

5 minutes ago, Catshill said:

If only Windows 10 was able to reliably display a preview for every folder.

What's unreliable about it? (Do you mean for every folder, or for every file type?)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

41 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

What's unreliable about it? (Do you mean for every folder, or for every file type?)

My experience with Windows 10 explorer and „exotic“ file formats like heic, heif, and af* are less than stellar.

I have a cloud service syncing images from smartphone into one folder on PC. Several thousands.
Installed all the official (and none non-official) apps to enable camera RAW, cr3, heic/heif, …. And latest Windows updates and patches. Added a column to show capture time, „program“ or other metadata to allow sorting / filtering.

Never the less:
Explorer always hangs and finally crashes every time. It first shows a preview without thumbnails , then a blank screen, than one line (file) per 10 seconds until it stops doing anything.

The main issue is access to metadata (exif) is so slow that it freezes every time.

PC itself is quite beefy and powerful.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

15 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

My experience with Windows 10 explorer and „exotic“ file formats like heic, heif, and af* are less than stellar.

You're probably right that Catshill was talking about file types rather than folders. I couldn't see why it would matter what folder the files are in!

I don't really use any "exotic" file types myself, so don't have any problems. I used to use Sagethumbs to view a few that aren't supported natively by Windows, but discovered it caused a problem with some batch jobs in APh. I usually use XnView MP to view file types that I can't view in Explorer (hdr/exr), but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with Affinity files. (Although I thought I had seen somewhere that it  does!)

I have started using Eagle following a recommendation from someone in the forum. It is reasonably priced and displays all affinity file types as well as jpg, png, cr2 heic etc. It also syncs across One Drive so I can access the files on my laptop & PC. The only problem is that it creates it's own copy of the file in folder / directory but as storage is not a problem for me I have no worries. You can apply tags for searching and set auto tag for drag & drop. I currently have around 10k of files stored and it is quite responsive. The files can be opened directly in the default app. https://eagle.cool/ 

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

8 hours ago, LK23 said:

What is the best image browser that recognizes Affinity Photo images?

I am finding that ApolloOne and other image browsers do not recognize the AF image format.

I don't think there's a viewer that can display the Affinity format.  Have a look at XnViewMP - it can display the embedded jpeg, so it's better than most.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Best? - Well that's always a matter of personal/individual taste and opinions, meaning everyone prefers slightly different tools here.

However, also take a look at the following threads which dealt with that theme before ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

You're probably right that Catshill was talking about file types rather than folders. I couldn't see why it would matter what folder the files are in!

Sometimes the folder can matter, though. There have been a number of reports, for example, that in a folder managed by OneDrive you won't see the Affinity file thumbnail images.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for all the posts. As the original poster I should have provided more information.  I am using Mac OS.  I am seeking a photo browser/image viewer that will show a thumbnail of my images with a sidebar of image information.  I like the format of ApolloOne but found it will not display an AF photo thumbnail in its image viewer.

20 minutes ago, LK23 said:

On edit, XnView MP looks pretty good but AF files show a blank image box instead of a thumbnail.  Anyone know of a way to correct this in Preferences?  I looked but could not find anything.

I think I've sussed the thing with XnView MP, you have to enable "Show all graphic formats" under Tools - Settings - General. (This is in the latest version.)

1 hour ago, LK23 said:

I am using Mac OS.  I am seeking a photo browser/image viewer that will show a thumbnail of my images with a sidebar of image information.

In the macOS Finder the Column and the Gallery views display file previews + information aside.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201732
https://www.macworld.com/article/231525/article-604.html

In case you want a cataloging app (DAM) there is, besides the already mentioned, for instance NeoFinder:

https://www.cdfinder.de/en/en/screenshots.html

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

22 hours ago, PaulEC said:

No it’s not a file type issue. Some folders fail to show the image preview despite the option being set. Resetting folder options will sometimes work but it’s been an issue for a number of years. I think it is related to the number of folders on your system and there was a registry hack to increase the number of folders that Windows could remember. 
E.g https://www.guidingtech.com/fix-preview-pane-not-working-in-windows-10/

19 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I think I've sussed the thing with XnView MP, you have to enable "Show all graphic formats" under Tools - Settings - General. (This is in the latest version.)

😎 XnView is my browser of choice, so this is a great find!

5 hours ago, Catshill said:

No it’s not a file type issue. Some folders fail to show the image preview despite the option being set. Resetting folder options will sometimes work but it’s been an issue for a number of years. I think it is related to the number of folders on your system and there was a registry hack to increase the number of folders that Windows could remember. 
E.g https://www.guidingtech.com/fix-preview-pane-not-working-in-windows-10/

That's interesting. I've never had the problem myself, I didn't realise that there is a limit to the number of folders you could have. The only, similar, problem I've come across is having too many levels of sub-folders within each other so that the file path becomes too long. 

• 1 year later...