You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add a Lighter/Brighter UI-mode (implemented)

Well I'm not a developer, but I'm guessing they will both be added to 1.6, which most likely will not be at the same time.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

So you don't have to dig through the thread, here is a screenshot of the new UI in 1.6 version in development, which MBd posted.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-01-05 at 10.34.05 AM.png

Thank you for the screen-shot; the basic issue is not concerned about the icon colours (dark or milk), but an evident difference to show when is ON or OFF; now they have almost the same colour and it is rather difficult to understand.

In my other life I’m a musician and I’m sometimes composing and arranging music. Interestingly, 2016 seems to have been the year of new applications because at the same time Serif published Affinity, Steinberg hired the old staff of the music notation software studio Sibelius to have them create a completely new notation software from scratch (called Dorico). And despite their very different subject I see many parallels in the approaches of Affinity and Dorico (or rather, the developers of these software).

But long story short: Dorico has a beautiful dark UI with monochrome icons and states that are easy to recognize. Even though they also have a light UI, I don’t even feel like switching because the dark UI is actually pleasing to the eye for my taste. Perhaps Serif could take some inspiration from this?

csm_dorico-flexible-input-editing-added-

In my other life I’m a musician and I’m sometimes composing and arranging music. Interestingly, 2016 seems to have been the year of new applications because at the same time Serif published Affinity, Steinberg hired the old staff of the music notation software studio Sibelius to have them create a completely new notation software from scratch (called Dorico). And despite their very different subject I see many parallels in the approaches of Affinity and Dorico (or rather, the developers of these software).

But long story short: Dorico has a beautiful dark UI with monochrome icons and states that are easy to recognize. Even though they also have a light UI, I don’t even feel like switching because the dark UI is actually pleasing to the eye for my taste. Perhaps Serif could take some inspiration from this?

csm_dorico-flexible-input-editing-added-

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL; it appears as a dream!

Lack of contrast has always been the problem for many of us, not the dark UI per se, which I happen to think is quite beautiful.  User-adjustable contrast (much more than is currently allowed) would solve the problem for me.  But without that, I'm eagerly looking forward to the light UI.

I agree. The new UI does look charming and so does the current one, but the bigger issue is the color of the selected indicator. That screenshot of Dorico is a great example of what should be applied in Affinity. Having the indicator the same color as the background is not easy on the eyes.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

This looks very cool. I like how users still get to toggle between the dark and light theme. So 1.6 is expected to come just a couple of weeks after my birthday (April 1st). That will be quite the gift. (And no, that is no prank.)

As someone who finds the current dark theme visually pleasing, the new lighter UI shown in the video that MEB posted a link to also looks very nice. So nice that when it comes out, I might use the lighter one! I think it is great that the developers are letting us, the users, choose what works best for us. Way to go developers! I'm looking forward to 1.6! Is there a list anywhere of features that are going to be included in 1.6? 

Hokusai

This looks very cool. I like how users still get to toggle between the dark and light theme. So 1.6 is expected to come just a couple of weeks after my birthday (April 1st). That will be quite the gift. (And no, that is no prank.)

I might have guessed your birthday would fall on April Fools' Day, Brian! :D :P whistling.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm looking forward to 1.6! Is there a list anywhere of features that are going to be included in 1.6?

I know I'm answering a staff question, but as far as what I read here, there will also be line continuation for the Pencil Tool, a brush stabilizer option, and I think an improvement on the boolean operations, or that one might come later.

I might have guessed your birthday would fall on April Fools' Day, Brian! :D :P whistling.gif

How else could I have gotten my sense of humor? And confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PeanutsA,

This will be implemented in the next version (1.6). You can read more about it on our blog here.

Thanks MEB for your reply & link.

Somehow I missed your post, before now.

Now my old eyes have something to look forward to (without eye strain :) )

MEB,

Thanks for the link! Designer 1.6 is going to be great! Any chance my number one feature request might make its way into 1.6? 

Thanks,

Hokusai

I cannot answer for him, but did you ever say what it was?

I cannot answer for him, but did you ever say what it was?

I also cannot answer for MEB, but I can answer for Hokusai, whose "number one feature request" is the one that you quoted in this post.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I also cannot answer for MEB, but I can answer for Hokusai, whose "number one feature request" is the one that you quoted in this post.

Well how about that. I feel quite silly.

Sorry, Hokusai. Sometimes I get people mixed up because of an awareness thing I have. Joke: Thank God it wasn't my girlfriend.