You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add a Lighter/Brighter UI-mode (implemented)

Hm, I'm dazed and confused by this post. UI bright toggling theme gathering more people than conversation of product's future and improvement. Something wrong with this world.

This is part of the product’s future and improvement. The UI is actually the central component to work with. Why have the latest cutting edge functionality if you’re constantly annoyed by a bad user interface that makes it hard to actually use the latest cutting edge features? Everything is equally important – and now it’s the light UI’s turn to be implemented.

Affinity is the greatest. That UI doesn't look half bad, but no one said anything about the artboard tool. I noticed that icon had a new look. Might it have a new functionality? Did I catch an Easter egg early?

Edit: I'm sorry. As I maximized the window, I realized the icon didn't change. Silly me.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Probably not. Affinity gives the best features - like this - just to Mac-User. ;)

Ha ha, nope it will come on both OSs

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Waiting for the light theme, that would interface merged with a white canvas.

Linux + Windows | i7 | 12Gb | Nvidia 760+780 | SSD 500Gb | Toshiba 1Gb | Full Zalman | Dell 27" | Wacom | Blender | Adobe | Affinity

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add one more voice 'pleading' for a lighter/brighter interface.

Despite now having to use 'computer glasses' :( I still find the present funereal interface very hard/difficult to see and to use.

Thank God Serif haven't chosen to use the same colour as the background for this forum :rolleyes: .

Just to add one more voice 'pleading' for a lighter/brighter interface.

I don't think we need to plead: I think we just need to be a little bit patient! We were previously led to believe that we wouldn't see a lighter interface before version 2.0, but it now looks as though it's coming with version 1.6 (in the next month or so).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

A palette would keep everyone happy.

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

I don't think we need to plead: I think we just need to be a little bit patient! We were previously led to believe that we wouldn't see a lighter interface before version 2.0, but it now looks as though it's coming with version 1.6 (in the next month or so).

With respect to Alfred, who I most certainly do respect, phrases such as "now looks" and "or so" are not certainties, or even promises.

Whilst I am not disrespecting, or doubting, any statements made by Serif, and fully appreciating that changes/developments take time, I would have thought that something more definite, on such a requested/basic feature, could have been stated.

As version 2 was going to be a 'paid for release' has it been stated whether version 1.6, whenever it is released, will be a free update to 1.5.0.45 or will it be a new paid for version? This question is asked because I cannot find anything on this despite a forum search.

Every full version number must be paid (e. g. 2.x, 3.x, 4.x).

For the avoidance of doubt, all 1.x updates are free to owners of any previous 1.x version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As version 2 was going to be a 'paid for release' has it been stated whether version 1.6, whenever it is released, will be a free update to 1.5.0.45 or will it be a new paid for version? This question is asked because I cannot find anything on this despite a forum search.

What MartinK and Alfred said is correct. Miguel (MEB) said in another topic that all minor updates such as 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 and so on are all free. Major updates like 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, and so on are paid. So once 1.6 comes out with the features you're looking for, you will not have to pay again as long as you already purchased any

1.x version.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

@PeanutsA:

Regards,

Martin

For the avoidance of doubt, all 1.x updates are free to owners of any previous 1.x version.

What MartinK and Alfred said is correct. Miguel (MEB) said in another topic that all minor updates such as 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 and so on are all free. Major updates like 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, and so on are paid. So once 1.6 comes out with the features you're looking for, you will not have to pay again as long as you already purchased any

1.x version.

Thank you to you all for your answers clarifying this for me, greatly appreciated.

@PeanutsA:

Regards,

Martin

From the 'Road Map' for 1.6 and 2 my Christmas befuddled brain cannot begin to imagine what will be in version 4.x :)

That isn't a question.

From the 'Road Map' for 1.6 and 2 my Christmas befuddled brain cannot begin to imagine what will be in version 4.x :)

That isn't a question.

Just to be clear, the features on the Road Map are not for 1.6. I previously thought that too, but they are all to come before the release of 2.

We apologise if you feel this way but it is not intentional. We get dozens of new post every day so we won't be able to reply to each one while working on Designer. We do read each post, and they will get put under consideration. We just can't reply to everything. :)

Over 2 years have elapsed since this post and the problem is still unsolved; the icons are rather small due to tha lack of space and this can be reasonable, butthere is no reason at all why we must make efforts with the eyes to perceive whether the icons are active or not (take the "Snapping" icon as an example); it appears that mostly of the Affinity users are complaining by this obviuos fact. 

Over 2 years have elapsed since this post and the problem is still unsolved; the icons are rather small due to tha lack of space and this can be reasonable, butthere is no reason at all why we must make efforts with the eyes to perceive whether the icons are active or not (take the "Snapping" icon as an example; it appears that mostly of the Affinity users are complaining by this obviuos fact.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1554-multi-add-a-lighterbrighter-ui-mode/?p=150121

So do you even read? :D

I am not from Serif; I am just a user that suffers to understand which icons are ON or OFF on both AP & AD.

I did not anticipate that you were a serif official but just pointed to you a resource some posts earlier I linked to which clearly says that a light UI will come in the near future and already shows the working light UI as a preview for what's coming

Cheers

I did not anticipate that you were a serif official but just pointed to you a resource some posts earlier I linked to which clearly says that a light UI will come in the near future and already shows the working light UI as a preview for what's coming

Cheers

I strongly hope so.

I strongly hope so.

So you don't have to dig through the thread, here is a screenshot of the new UI in 1.6 version in development, which MBd posted.

post-27616-0-28526000-1483630636_thumb.png