You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add a Lighter/Brighter UI-mode (implemented)

I do really like Photo and Designer and expect to keep them as my go-to apps but unless there is an option for a lighter UI in version 2, I don't expect to upgrade either one.  Instead I'll just muddle along with the final version of V1.  I'm hoping that's not a choice I have to make but I'm really, really tired of struggling with this dark, low-contrast interface.

If they make a lighter UI, I hope it is done in a way that still gives the program that newer feel to it. I do like the dark interface, but I too struggle with the issues already mentioned here. I do feel that many light interfaces can give a program the Windows XP look, which I don't like. I hope it can be done in a non-flat interface using gradient structures on the panels. I want to add that I do like the look of the new Mac OS X Seirra. The light panels are close to looking flat, but they still look new. They use gradients, but they don't overdue it like previous versions. I think something like that would look nice for Affinity.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

There is something I just discovered (sorry, just exploring): if you set the document's background color to a bright/white color, and work in separate mode – that is, with the documents you are working on in separate windows, and the tools collected into floating palettes – the dark UI is easier on the eye. There is much less dark surface, and the documents blend better with the environment. It's not perfect, and white text continues to be lost in the dark, but it's better.

Paolo

that screenshot indeed looks like a negative example but I like how they reworked the FCPX interface

I like what Apple did to the workflow of their pro apps I know (Logic Pro X, Final Cut Pro X). They are more logical, keep all the tools you use the most in the main window, and let you configure everything in a snap.

What I don't like is the dark UI. While it may make sense for the preview mode of a photo or movie app, since it would simulate the dark room or the movie theatre, I find it doesn't work with music, where you usually work in the light, to see scores (white paper) or the face of the other musicians. And I find it doesn't work for illustration/page layout, where you work on white paper.

Paolo

Indeed, Paolo, that is exactly my opinion. The Apple developers made great advances with respect to workflow and functionality in the Pro apps, however much of that progress is spoiled by the decision for the dark, low-, or rather no-, contrast interfaces. And the Logic Pro interface is still more readable and more structured than the interfaces of Motion, Final Cut Pro, even iMovie. I am already afraid of the day, when the new, “streamlined” version of Logic hits the App Store …  :( :blink:

Oh, this wish is over two years old...
I really like the dark UI, especially when I work at the evening in low light situations. But I must also admit, that in bright daylight condition a light grey UI is far better and homogenic to the eyes. It would be really helpful if the gamma could be set to a much brighter UI, where the caption goes from white to black.
This is just a color reversal snapshot, only to show how 'smooth' black text on light grey is. It should be easy to implement this feature.
+1 from me too :)

post-19128-0-63333400-1479463481.png

post-19128-0-63333400-1479463481_thumb.png

Oh, this wish is over two years old...
I really like the dark UI, especially when I work at the evening in low light situations. But I must also admit, that in bright daylight condition a light grey UI is far better and homogenic to the eyes. It would be really helpful if the gamma could be set to a much brighter UI, where the caption goes from white to black.
This is just a color reversal snapshot, only to show how 'smooth' black text on light grey is. It should be easy to implement this feature.
+1 from me too :)

post-19128-0-63333400-1479463481.png

And if the very sight of this makes the developers shudder with revulsion, we promise we won't ever tell you that we're using it.  We'll just pretend it doesn't exist while feasting our own eyes on legible, easily recognizable letters and icons that let us make swift and correct decisions instead of our usual "squint and stab." ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Imo the whole dark UI was born just because of  those super bright, over 300cd/cm2 monitors for people who never try to calibrate their monitors.

Since the first thing every color profile calibration software would suggest you is to get  your monitor back to normal  120cd/cm2 providing true actual black color values and true 2,2 gamma,  you  no more able to tolerate anything darker than  PhotoshopCC  light gray theme.

I vote for brighter UI option  too, just extend those sliders a bit more

I'm working with a calibrated monitor, and I have zero issue with the dark UI.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

I'm working with a calibrated monitor, and I have zero issue with the dark UI.

Most will have no major problems with it. But the question is, what is better and more comfortable to work at bright daylight conditions? I think all these posts give a clear answer.

And a question to the moderators. Can we expect any improvements in the near future?
There is no clear answer to this old issue and I can't see anything in the future roadmaps that fix this circumstances.
Is there a reason, why such an important function is given so little attention?

Hi, also having registered just to add my voice to the throng - I downloaded the Windows beta of Affinity Photo a couple of days ago, and was appalled at the oppressive dark UI.  Having explored the inadequate adjustments offered in Preferences, I reluctantly uninstalled the program.

I'll happily try again when this issue has been addressed - but the (somewhat grudging?) responses here from the developers are not encouraging.

You should actually read the message behind the links by MBd: It’s supposed to be in 1.6.

It was meant more ironically. The function looks relatively finished. Time to roll it out as soon as possible. Till 1.6 it probably takes another year. ; )

Hm, I'm dazed and confused by this post. UI bright toggling theme gathering more people than conversation of product's future and improvement. Something wrong with this world.

Ha yeah tell me about it :) However this is a really old thread and many people have been waiting since 2014 for this feature.

Requesting features and then actually seeing it implemented is something that I love about Affinity. It's great to know that the people there actually listen their customers.

Hm, I'm dazed and confused by this post. UI bright toggling theme gathering more people than conversation of product's future and improvement. Something wrong with this world.

Simply view it as an indication of how important the light UI is to those of us struggling visually with the dark UI.