You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add a Lighter/Brighter UI-mode (implemented)

I hope, when Affinity comes to Windows, that a conventional light interface is the default, with an option for a dark interface for those who like it. 

I don't use Inkscape due to its dark interface, and Affinity Designer for Windows would soon end up in my trash bin if there was no option other than a dark interface. 

Clearly, there are many other users who need this. 

post-28512-0-36423200-1459256729_thumb.png

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

I don't use Inkscape due to its dark interface, and Affinity Designer for Windows would soon end up in my trash bin if there was no option other than a dark interface.

Inkscape a dark interface? Since when? I am running version 0.91, and the GUI is as bright as can be.

• 3 weeks later...

The dark UI definitely makes for a stunning sales presentation in the showroom, but many of us spending 3-6 hours every day in our design apps end up with considerable eye strain by the end of the day, regardless of age. IMO, Adobe Bridge CS6.0 got it right. (I will forever use CS6.0 in militant resistance to the unreliable, money-sucking CC). I can use those sliders on the fly to make the UI as light or dark as I need it at any given moment. Unfortunately the gamma slider in AD decreases the contrast, making the icons and text even harder to read than they already are.

The long-term damage from computer screen eye strain is still unknown, but I sure as heck don't want to be almost blind by the time I retire. I want to at least be able to see that I have soup dribbling down my chin in the communal dining room at my nursing home!

Another supporter for this request. I'm an older guy, and my vision isn't as great as it used to be (although I rarely wear glasses). I'm guessing your interface designers are all under 30. The option for larger icons and type (and more contrast) would be most welcome.

I am also an Adobe refugee. I've used Adobe products since Photoshop 1, but do not like the subscription model (and have retired, so don't have as much need for their software. Affinity Photo and Designer are the FIRST non-Adobe products I have tried that actually feel like they might serve my needs. Congratulations on achieving this level of functionality so quickly!

Mid-2011 iMac 27, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Add me to the list for a light UI option.

Right now, I can't use Affinity Designer.  I want to, but every time I switch to it, the stark UI hurts my brain, and I go back to Sketch. Affinity Designer is a real strain on the eyes.

The gamma controls are nowhere near enough. Ideally, we need a complete light UI with properly contrasted UI elements. (i.e. black on light grey.)

(As for those people who like the dark UI, more power to you. But I'm not you. Every designer is different, and we need a choice in this matter, especially when the UI impacts on us so heavily.)

New idea: instead of having to search the whole group to find the current tool, just display the tool icon at the top, next to the line of tool-related options. You would look in one place instead of scanning.

Of course, this need comes from the difficulty in distinguishing the active tool due to the dark/darker interface.

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

Mac Mini, Late 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB; HD replaced with SSD

• 1 month later...

Inkscape a dark interface? Since when? I am running version 0.91, and the GUI is as bright as can be.

I have since upgraded from 0.43r to 0.91r and find that the GUI has changed to a light theme. It is now usable, while before it was not. A dark interface is likely to be a deal-breaker for me.  

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

We keep asking for the Option for a light interface.  It would be nice if the devs would tell us if this is being considered or are we just wasting our time asking.  If they're hoping that we'll give up and just accept the dark interface, that really isn't an option for anyone who gets a headache if they use the app for more than an hour or so at a time.  This is not a frivolous aesthetics issue; we need the light option.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for a light interface.

I use PageplusX9 which has an excellent light, easy on the eye, UI.  Swopping between programmes, one with a light interface and one with a dark one, would make life very difficult.  It would seem that this is another case of fashion over practicality and am surprised that there isn't consistency between the family of design and publishing products.

I have also experienced disappearing fonts and crashes when trying to save work as mentioned by other users.  However, hopefully these will all be dealt with in the next update, which I look forward to.

Keep up the good work !

No complaints here. I'm 40 and well, dark...works for me :P  I did notice an option in the preferences for changing the the size of the icons in the UI but they don't seem to do anything. Ugh, I am not  looking forward to the day when "dark" UI does not look good to me anymore. hehe

Don't worry Ronnie ... I'm 57 and loving the UI just as it is :)

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

Imo the whole dark UI was born just because of  those super bright, over 300cd/cm2 monitors for people who never try to calibrate their monitors.

Since the first thing every color profile calibration software would suggest you is to get  your monitor back to normal  120cd/cm2 providing true actual black color values and true 2,2 gamma,  you  no more able to tolerate anything darker than  PhotoshopCC  light gray theme.

I vote for brighter UI option  too, just extend those sliders a bit more

The only way that I can get enough contrast in the UI toolbar to actually see which tool icon is selected is to turn UI Gamma all the way up in Affinity Preferences AND to turn Brightness all the way up in System Preferences.  Black on dark gray is not the best choice for visibility.  

Black on dark gray is not the best choice for visibility.  

I completely agree. I have to set my laptop screen to exactly the correct angle if I'm to have any hope of seeing which tool is currently highlighted (or perhaps that should be 'lowlighted'). It would be great to have the simple 'Invert' option that Julian23 suggested earlier in this thread.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You can tweak it going to Affinity Designer -> Preferences -> User Interface tab and adjusting the UI Gamma and the Background Gray Level sliders. Note however that you can't make the UI light. Just adjust the Gamma slightly.

I do like the black look, and on an OK (calibrated) monitor, everything looks fine.

I played around with the UI gamma, but it doesn't chage a thing on my PC...

(Windows 7 - 64bit)

Cheers,

K.