You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Art inspired by the art of Sophie Taeuber-Arp

William Overington

Please regard the image as two clock faces, with the upper change of colour for the outer one being at 1pm, the upper change of colour for the inner one being at 1 am, the lower change of colour for both of them being at 7 o'clock, with moving from the outer one to the inner one at 7 pm and moving from the inner one to the outer one at 7 am.

For any day during summer time, there can be designated a point on one of the circles for each of sunrise and sunset on that day.  

Looking at the above image, where shoud sunrise and sunset be placed on the diagram on various days in summer time?

Please consider the general case and the case of the autumn equinox.

The spring equinox, in the United Kingdom and in some other places, does not happen in summer time.

Reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset

I have been able to work out how the points of sunrise and sunset vary qualitatively from day to day, but where they are at autumn equinox in relation to the point where the two circles meet is not clear to me at present.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

The spring equinox, in the United Kingdom and in some other places, does not happen in summer time.

Should that come as a surprise to anyone? The spring equinox is so named because it occurs in the spring!

Whether you’re in the northern hemisphere or the southern hemisphere, the equinoxes are in the spring and autumn and the solstices are in the summer and winter.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Should that come as a surprise to anyone? The spring equinox is so named because it occurs in the spring!

Whether you’re in the northern hemisphere or the southern hemisphere, the equinoxes are in the spring and autumn and the solstices are in the summer and winter.

Well, the sentence needs to be read in its context.

For any day during summer time, there can be designated a point on one of the circles for each of sunrise and sunset on that day.  

Looking at the above image, where shoud sunrise and sunset be placed on the diagram on various days in summer time?

Please consider the general case and the case of the autumn equinox.

The autumn equinox occurs during summer time in the United Kingdom and in some other countries too.

I asked a question related to the autumn equinox. I simply mentioned that the spring equinox does not happen in summer time in the United Kingdom so as to note why I did not ask about spring equinox.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

The autumn equinox occurs during summer time in the United Kingdom and in some other countries too.

Really?? I’ve always understood the vernal and autumnal equinoxes to mark the beginnings of spring and autumn, respectively.

Alfred spacer.png

The vernal equinox (21 March) is the start of seasonal spring, whereas meteorological spring starts on 01 March.

The autumnal equinox (21 September) is the start of seasonal autumn, whereas meteorological autumn starts on 01 September.

Neither equinox takes place in seasonal summer.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Really?? I’ve always understood the vernal and autumnal equinoxes to mark the beginnings of spring and autumn, respectively.

There are several possibly confusing aspects.

First, William has said "the autumnal equinox occurs during summer time in the UK". Was that intended to mean:

• While the clocks are set to British Summer Time (BST)?
    or
  • During the season of Summer?

Next, if "during the season of Summer" was meant, do we want to consider astronomical Summer or meteorological Summer? The autumnal equinox, occurring on Sept. 22, is certainly well within the meteorological season of Autumn, which begins on Sept. 1.

But one might argue (as you perhaps are?) that the actual equinox is on the boundary between astromical Summer and astronomical Autumn, and thus might be viewed as being "in" neither, as it is between both.

(And @Ali just beat me to parts of that point :) )

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

37 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I did not say seaonal summer, nor summer, but summer time, the period of around seven months from the clocks going forward near the end of March and the clocks going back near the end of October.

In North America clocks ‘spring forward’ (except where they don’t, in some parts of Canada) two weeks earlier than clocks in the UK, and they ‘fall back’ one week later.

Alfred spacer.png

42 minutes ago, William Overington said:

but summer time

It's a confusing wording, William. "Summer time" could mean (as I suggested above), BST or it could mean "summer-time" (e.g., one of the definitions of Summer).

And in any case, as BST is a human creation whose start and end dates/times are totally arbitrary, and as such it has no relevance to when an equinox occurs, anyway. So why even bring it up?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

And in any case, as BST is a human creation whose start and end dates/times are totally arbitrary, and as such it has no relevance to when an equinox occurs, anyway. So why even bring it up?

Because my artwork represents the situation in summer time, and I am thinking about at which points on which circle sunsrise ad sunset at autumn equinox should be placed.

Because of how sunrise and sunset are defined, the points do not seem to be at where the two circles touch.

Having mentioned autumn equinox, I mentioned that spring equinox does not occur during summer time in the United Kingdom. I mentioned it for completeness.

Also, for completeness, in a later post I put an artwork of the situation in winter time. However, in my opinion, it does not seem to look as aesthethically pleasing as the artwork for summer time.

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

summer time, the period of around seven months

Just FYI, that is what various European languages call it (in their own language, of course). In the US the same concept is called Daylight-Saving Time. So, when the average American sees you talking about summer time, he/she will think you are talking about the Summer (the season), just as in the song.

9 minutes ago, AdamStanislav said:

Just FYI, that is what various European languages call it (in their own language, of course). In the US the same concept is called Daylight-Saving Time. So, when the average American sees you talking about summer time, he/she will think you are talking about the Summer (the season), just as in the song.

Daylight Saving Time,
And the livin’ is easy…

Doesn’t scan very well, does it!

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Daylight Saving Time,
And the livin’ is easy…

Doesn’t scan very well, does it!

Try:

D S T,
    And the livin' is easy...

:D

-- Walt
PC:

Correct.

I did not say seaonal summer, nor summer, but summer time, ...

And there's the problem. Summer time on its own without the addition of British does not mean the time when the clocks are set for daylight saving. You would have been unambiguous had you said daylight saving time.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

@AdamStanislav

Thank you.

Il y a trente-six carrés et un grand cercle translucide.

Could you say something about how you produced the design please?

Inside the circle are four whole squares, four large partial square shapes, and four small partial square shapes.

Each row contains squares of two colours. Each column contains squares of six colours.

The artwork is very precisely drawn.

William

24 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Could you say something about how you produced the design please?

I just drew a rectangle, then a smaller rectangle in the top left corner. Then I duplicated the smaller one and shift-dragged it down, changed its color and repeated until I had a column of six rectangles. Then I selected them, grouped them, duplicated the group, shift-dragged it to the right, flipped it vertically, grouped the two groups into one, duplicated, shift-dragged to the right, duplicated the same group again, shift-dragged to the right, then one more time.

Then I drew a circle, centered it, filled with white and made it transparent. That’s all I did. I guess I lucked out that the smaller rectangle width and height just happened to be one sixth of the width and height of the big rectangle.

Sorry, nothing more than that. I have enclosed the abstract.afdesign file if you want play with it.