You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Art inspired by the art of Sophie Taeuber-Arp

William Overington

I’m not sure I see the connection. Sophie Taeuber-Arp’s work reminds me of the art of Wassily Kandinsky, but the image in the OP to this thread looks like a simple example of barch art.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m not sure I see the connection. Sophie Taeuber-Arp’s work reminds me of the art of Wassily Kandinsky, but the image in the OP to this thread looks like a simple example of barch art.

Well, I had not known of Wassily Kandinsky, nor of barch art before I read your post.

So, now I know more than when I started this thread. Good.

Thank you.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 hour ago, VectorVonDoom said:

barch art, is that what they call art created using bar charts? xD

Well, I suppose it all depends on who “they” might be!! whistling.gif

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

Well, I had not known of Wassily Kandinsky, nor of barch art before I read your post.

I hadn’t known of barch art, either, until the image in your post inspired me to write about it here! ;)

Alfred spacer.png

If one looks in the video at 1 minute 58 seconds,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKnqBa15JA

there is a image for inspration and leads me to have a look in detail at  particular tool in Affinity Designer, with the help feature of Affnity designer to give me guidance.

So not trying to produce a copy of that image, but an image inspired by it.

Anyone else fancy having a go please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

8 minutes ago, William Overington said:

If one looks in the video at 1 minute 58 seconds,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKnqBa15JA

In other words, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKnqBa15JA&t=1m58s smartass.gif

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Yes, but that way one misses the lead up to that.

In which case, decide how much “lead up” you want to include and then adjust the time parameter accordingly. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

In which case, decide how much “lead up” you want to include and then adjust the time parameter accordingly. ;)

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKnqBa15JA&t=1m27s

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I used the circle tool and the segment tool to produce my design.

If I say it has the title

Summer time

does that make a difference?

William

Do you get the idea of why it is called summer time?

Can you express it as an equation? (sort of!) 😀

William

Edited by William Overington
Added (sort of!) and the smiling face as it is a bit silly!

No.

The idea was that the lie is angled at 30 degrees so pointng at 1 o'clock if it were a clockface, which is noon duting summer time, yet only actually on a boundary of a time zone. For example, in the parts of the United Kingdom thar are west of Greenwich the sun is at its highest some minutes after 1 pm by the clock. By about 1 minute for each 12 miles west of Greenwich I think. Sort of longitude value west of Greenwich in degrees divided by 15 degrees is the number of minutes.

I was thinking of an equation something like the sign of the rate of change of the height in the sky of the sun with time as the height of the sun in the sky increases before noon and decreases after noon, but it won't work as it would need a 24 hour clock,though I suppose that some sort of limaçon-type design with counterchanged colours might work with an ordinary clock. I suppose that I am going to try to make that work! 😀

One thing designing it with pen and pasper, quite another producing it as a graphic.

William

After posting that I tried designing it with a pen and paper and it works!

Producing a graphic in Affinity Designer is going to be a challenge, I suppose it depends whether it needs to be meticulously drawn or whether some combination of the facilities of Affinity Designer can get it to be produced fairly straightforwardly.

William