You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Art inspired by the art of Sophie Taeuber-Arp

William Overington

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

square7.png.1e7fc661f707481d677fa03e569fe0ec.png

What informed the particular choice of colours, sequence, and proportions? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

What informed the particular choice of colours, sequence, and proportions? :/

It is an attempt to show n a picture the order in which colours developed in languages.

The larger the area, the earlier the introduction into a language.

So, for example, first light and dark, so a language only has two words for colours, then red gets added, so the language has three colours, then, yellow and green get added, in whichever order, then, in some languages, blue is separated out from green, other colours arrive later.

I did it yesterday evening, I used the pie tool, The structure is a bit different from the display so that the black and the white do not show through where colours change. For exampe, the green segment is wider than is displayed as it goes below the red and below the blue for five degrees or so.

Yet I did it from memory of reading a wikipedia article which I could not find yesterday evening. Subsequently I found the following, which I have not read in full yet, so based on that a better diadram could be produced.

https://www.yalescientific.org/2017/03/the-evolution-of-color-linguistics-a-phylogenetic-approach-to-color-terms/

I have now found the following, but I don't thibk that it was the page that I saw before as I remember a quite large horizontal text diagram going from left to right showing how colours got added as time progressed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Color_Terms

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

4 minutes ago, William Overington said:

The structure is a bit different from the display so that the black and the white do not show through where colours change. For [example], the green segment is wider than is displayed as it goes below the red and below the blue for five degrees or so.

I’m afraid I don’t understand this bit, William. Why would making the green segment wider cause the black and white to show through? :/

Alfred spacer.png

27 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m afraid I don’t understand this bit, William. Why would making the green segment wider cause the black and white to show through? :/

It doesn't, it's the other way round, it stops the possibility of it happening.

Five degrees of the structural green segment is hidden beneath the blue segment, so that there is no chance of a black line showing between the displayed green segment and the blue sement. So z-wise in the structure, green is behind both red and blue.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

On 1/10/2022 at 3:42 PM, William Overington said:

It doesn't, it's the other way round, it stops the possibility of it happening.

Thanks. I don’t know how I managed to misread that! :o

On 1/10/2022 at 3:42 PM, William Overington said:

Five degrees of the structural green segment is hidden beneath the blue segment, so that there is no chance of a black line showing between the displayed green segment and the blue sement. So z-wise in the structure, green is behind both red and blue.

You could, if so desired, apply the same principle throughout. For example, start with a yellow segment encompassing the entire coloured area from the left-hand edge of the yellow to the right-hand edge of the blue, duplicate four times and recolour each of the four copies, and then adjust the start and end points to leave as much or as little overlap as needed.

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 month later...

I wonder if I can use information from the following website to produce an augmented version of my Summer Time art that is a useful quantitative item rather than just a qualitative one.

https://greenwichmeantime.com/time-gadgets/sunrise-sunset/

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

Already down to page 3, so bringing it back to page 1 for hopefully further art to become added by forum members.

William

A good way to ‘bump’ a thread like this is to post another example.

1023158439_ATreeinAutumn.png.33c28d1cf339f8b9f15d938f5f92cd2b.png

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

I wonder if I can use information from the following website to produce an augmented version of my Summer Time art that is a useful quantitative item rather than just a qualitative one.

https://greenwichmeantime.com/time-gadgets/sunrise-sunset/

Perhaps you could explain a bit more about what you have in mind, William. It’s easy enough to create blue and yellow donut segments and pie slices like the ones on that website, but your reference to “an augmented version of my Summer Time art” leads me to suspect that you meant something else.

Alfred spacer.png

At the moment there are two circles, some parts filled white, some pars filled black.

I am thinking that on the outside of the larger circle and the inside of the smaller circle could be three sets of marliings. One set like the marking of hours on a clock face and one set labelled with dates for sunrise and one set labelled with dates for sunset, such that looking at a date will give the time of sunrise and sunset on that day at the location for which the design is made, and looking at a time will give the date, or dates, if any, that sunrse and sunset will occur at that time at that location.

Each date in summer time will have a time of sunrise and a time of sunset.

Not every time will have a date when sunrise or sunset occurs at that time.

Maybe the inner circle needs to be larger to allow space for such markings.

Such an image could be printed, framed and displayed on a wall for convenient viewing. 

William

• 10 months later...

Quite by chance I saw on a web page of a newspaper an advertisement for a prize draw where the prize is a house.

The advertisement shows a picture.

There is a picture on the wall.

The picture reminded me of the style of Sophie Taeuber-Arp.

754512511_pictureview1.png.ac257fc9fd21c6bc27f03886b761b55c.png

I went to the website of the prize draw and found this image within a collection of images.

1716094370_pictureview2.png.f1588704c9597b5fab4eebafafe017d4.png

I wonder what are those pictures, and by which artist.

William