You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Global Color percentage

1 hour ago, evtonic3 said:

How do I change the percentage of a global color?

Unless you mean opacity of a layer have you tried using the Lab Sliders rather than the colour wheel perhaps.

105AD81F-9974-4E54-BFEF-45F7B599B232.jpeg

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

6 hours ago, evtonic3 said:

What do you mean by "percentage of a global color"? I don't recall ever hearing/seeing that term.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Unless you mean opacity of a layer have you tried using the Lab Sliders rather than the colour wheel perhaps.

Or the Saturation or Luminance in HSL mode? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have my terminology mixed up, I posted this late so I may have not had the best words. Basically this panel shows what I was referring to. Spot and Global are intertwined I think with what I meant to ask. I just wanted to dial down the top "percentage" slider that is on this screenshot but on iPad. I couldn't find this panel or something that would allow this on iPad.

2011662227_ScreenShot2022-01-07at10_23_59AM.png.341e7b85ac57062c2070ec577c3d78ee.png

Thanks for the screenshot, Eduardo!

T = Tint. I can’t find this in AD on iPad.

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Thanks for the screenshot, Eduardo!

T = Tint. I can’t find this in AD on iPad.

Still think the Lab Slider performs the same function as the T except reversed, darkest to lightest where the T is Lightest to Darkest.

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB

5 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Still think the Lab Slider performs the same function as the T except reversed, darkest to lightest where the T is Lightest to Darkest.

Lightest in Eduardo’s screenshot is white but lightest in your screenshot is pale blue. How do you set L* to white for arbitrary a* and b* values? :/

Alfred spacer.png

10 hours ago, Alfred said:

Lightest in Eduardo’s screenshot is white but lightest in your screenshot is pale blue. How do you set L* to white for arbitrary a* and b* values? :/

Yes, you're right Alfred, I was thinking it was similar to moving across the colour wheel where you can get to white from any colour. I blame the unknown quantity as Walt mentioned  "percentage of a global color", I have no idea what that is either.

Just I guess:

After choosing the global color from swatches, go back to color studio and adjust Color opacity (not layer opacity).

the horizontal lines are using 100 / 50 / 25 % opacity/ tint

the vertical line is several brush strokes of 25% opacity, to show it adds up.

CMYK document 

CBCD2AF2-831F-41C5-B64C-FD3DD41603E3.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 1/8/2022 at 3:08 AM, NotMyFault said:

Just I guess:

After choosing the global color from swatches, go back to color studio and adjust Color opacity (not layer opacity).

But Opacity and Tint are different. I'm not sure exactly how, though transparency seems to be one aspect of it:

image.png.26adc443aca668488725cabf35169c78.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

When you put a white background behind, there become identical.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

When you put a white background behind, there become identical.

Yes, but this shows that color Opacity and Tint are not the same. Opacity may be a good substitute for Tint if the background behind or object behind it is white, but they are not identical functions. And opacity cannot be substituted for tint for an object or brush stroke painted over another color other than white.

Here is a screenshot with those same 3 rectangles in front of a green rectangle, for example.

image.png.e55c9b972599c8e9c362800899a991d2.png

-- Walt
PC:

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but this shows that color Opacity and Tint are not the same. Opacity may be a good substitute for Tint if the background behind or object behind it is white, but they are not identical functions. And opacity cannot be substituted for tint for an object or brush stroke painted over another color other than white.

Here is a screenshot with those same 3 rectangles in front of a green rectangle, for example.

image.png.e55c9b972599c8e9c362800899a991d2.png

all true.

But the original question was:

On 1/7/2022 at 6:07 AM, evtonic3 said:

And you correctly added:

On 1/7/2022 at 12:45 PM, walt.farrell said:

What do you mean by "percentage of a global color"? I don't recall ever hearing/seeing that term.

The author did not explain if he looks for tint or opacity, or something else, and what color format he prefers (additive like RGB / LAB or subtractive like CMYK)

So the list of possible answers collected so far:

• Use LAB sliders and change lightness (to simulate tint slider, but opposite direction). But LAB lightness != tint (e.g. 100% LL is not white, 0%LL gives black and not 100% color)
  • Use opacity (but this makes the color transparent, result depends on background color)

But maybe he seeks for the (infamous) ...

drum rolls

fill opacity?

Its even worse more interesting:

When you open the test file on iPad, and try to add a node in the middle of the existing gradients, Affinity on iPad destroys the tint-based gradient.(bottom), as it adds a 100% tint node (instead of a 50% tint node).

It seems there is no method to modify the color of the new node to get the 50% tint effect.

Another observation:

Tint and blend mode difference do not work as expected. It seems tint is realized as a virtual blend of white backfill and the tint color with the selected percentage as opacity.

And blend mode difference only acts on the backfill color, ignoring the actual color.

designer ting opacity.afphoto

A workaround to simulate tint on iPad where no tint slider is available:

• add a levels adjustment
  • set output black level to one minus desired tint level (in RGB mode or other additive color modes)
  • set output white level to desired tint level (in CMYK mode / subtractive color modes)