Mandala grid-circle pattern system

• Staff

Maybe one day...

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Many geometric circular mandalas are based on an equilateral triangular grid, which AD already supports under Grid and Axis Manager...

If you could come up with a way to create circle patterns using a "grid" system would be awesome, the possibilities would be endless. I am trying out my own grid but if you could create some "grid" system to make these easier would be top notch!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

It is called a symmetry mode. Krita does this, and it is perfect for painting Mandala-like patterns. Another solution would be the option to clone layers as instanced layers which update in real-time. Then any type of geometrical pattern becomes possible, even irregular ones (Photoline and Krita support these).

Really, both Affinity Photo and Designer would benefit greatly from a virtual clone layer type. It opens up symmetrical patterns, mandalas, mirror painting, and much more.

Yes, I believe so... at least for mandalas' utilizing the Flower of Life geometric grid, which is a series of 7 circles where 6 of those circles centers lay on the 7th circles's circumference at 60° from the central circle's focus point... or here's a picture, if this is useful. It's basically a hexagonal grid, which simplifies to an equilateral triangle grid. Hope that's useful for what you thinking about making... ? In general there are lots of guides on how to build these types of grids in sacred geometry circles... as long as Affinity can snap to the paths and nodes, we can at least make custom grids. But yeah, kaleidoscopic and polar/radial grids would be amazing!Flower-of-Life.jpg.

Hi Ronny, does this mean I can create mandala patterns? Not sure if you're eluding to this.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

It seems like this could be accomplished nicely as part of a symbols system. Create a symbol, rotate several copies around a corner point, and then edit the master (in context).

This could benefit especially from one of my wishlist items for AD's future symbol handling: Snapping to geometry inside instances (most apps treat them like they treat bitmaps).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Paintstorm has what I was looking for, just saw this. Would be awesome to have in AD/AP as well!

https://youtu.be/k7M_V9-1CCE

I believe Paintstorm does not actually mirror the content. Unless the developer made improvements to this.

The simplest solution is a clone layer which updates in real-time. This opens up far more possibilities, with (multiple) mirrored axes merely one option.