You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove page numbers on pages 1 & 2 and continue with page 1 on page 3 etc. in Publisher? In support help topic it says: "To suppress page numbering on initial sections (e.g. Contents or Preface) don't assign a master page." I wasn't sure about that so I added two a master pages without numbers (since the doc is single page non facing) and assigned one of the masters to page 1 & the other to page 2. 

Now how do I get the 3rd page to start with page 1 and not 3?

You need to use the Section Manager. Create a new section that starts on physical page 3, and then set the section printable page number to start on 1.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Did you create a new section? You have to do that.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Okay I'm confused. I clicked on Document and then Section Manager. It's on the Section Manager pop up window that -  "Start On Page" in Section Manager - is grayed out. So I'm confused on creating a new section. I thought that was done the was I stated above.

12 hours ago, EkimEnaid said:

Okay I'm confused. I clicked on Document and then Section Manager. It's on the Section Manager pop up window that -  "Start On Page" in Section Manager - is grayed out. So I'm confused on creating a new section. I thought that was done the was I stated above.

You need to have 2 sections. The first one will have two unnumbered pages (controlled by the Master Page you assign to them). The second section will start on physical page 3, but it's page number will start at 1, and you will use a different Master Page that includes the page number.

-- Walt
PC:

I have Master A with odd pages and Master B with even. I have Master C without page numbers for the 1st page and Master D for the 2nd, and these two pages do not have page numbers. I assigned Master A to odd pages 3, but it doesn't have page 1, it has page 3, and the same for Master B. I'm sorry Walt but I'm just not getting it and don't understand how to get page 3 to be page 1 and page 4 to be page 2. I did it on another Doc in the past but can't remember how I did it.

Make two sections, the first one, call it Front Matter, will start on Page 1 and is unchangeable. The second section, call it Actual Book or what ever you wish, can start on Page 3 and that one you can have the page numbering start at 1. Or 23 or 7 or what ever you like.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you Bruce,

What I'm not understanding is how to make two section as you have described. When I clicked on Document and then Section Manager the Section Manager pop up window   "Start On Page" in Section Manager - is grayed out. So I'm confused on creating a new section. What am I doing wrong?

8 minutes ago, EkimEnaid said:

So I'm confused on creating a new section. What am I doing wrong?

<snark on> Welcome to the world of Uncluttered User Interfaces. <snark off>

The problem is that the User Interface contains 'buttons' that are just simple graphics, tiny inconsequential, and frequently cryptic, graphics which are too easy to over look. Click on the Add Section button.

375558386_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_32_07AM.png.a7cea82d4364e864c29e056d0bea5ad0.png

now you can get to work.

1907107940_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_33_52AM.png.2a46b729a02db6e73041c55b6c477513.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

<snark on> Welcome to the world of Uncluttered User Interfaces. <snark off>

The problem is that the User Interface contains 'buttons' that are just simple graphics, tiny inconsequential, and frequently cryptic, graphics which are too easy to over look. Click on the Add Section button.

A good way to learn what those cryptic icons do is to set the Preferences > User Interface > Tooltip Delay slider almost all the way to the left so that when you hover the pointer over one of them, its name pops up almost immediately.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

A good way to learn what those cryptic icons do is to set the Preferences > User Interface > Tooltip Delay slider almost all the way to the left so that when you hover the pointer over one of them, its name pops up almost immediately.

Assuming, of course, that you noticed them at all. In addition to the usual Affinity UI issues with contrast, they're sometimes quite far away from everything else in the panel or dialog, and may be completely missed.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Assuming, of course, that you noticed them at all. In addition to the usual Affinity UI issues with contrast, they're sometimes quite far away from everything else in the panel or dialog, and may be completely missed.

It’s not just a question of low contrast. They’re so faint that they look as though they’re disabled.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

28 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It’s not just a question of low contrast. They’re so faint that they look as though they’re disabled.

They are faint because there is so little contrast difference between them & the background behind them. Increase that difference substantially, & do the same for the enabled vs. disabled states, & this problem all but disappears.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7