You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding Color to negative/missing portions of text

Hello - looking for suggestions on how to add color to the negated/missing (not sure if thats the right way to describe it) part of a font.  I've looked high and low and cant find anything relevant online.  

So, looking at the attached image, all I want to do is to fill the slashes that are dissecting the text with red but no matter what I do, I either end up filling ALL the text with red, or the entire background as well.

Any suggestions?  And sorry, I'm a total noob at this - any help is super appreciated!

Adam

Testing.thumb.png.e0dc5589efdb5ec138cb548dbd3fe41a.png

You would need a Solid copy of the font in the example. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The font in question is ‘Insomnia’ but I don’t think it includes solid versions of the glyphs. It would probably be easier to type some letters using a suitable extra-bold or black font and then clip some streaky coloured shapes to the letters.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That font looks similar in shape to some of the "headline" fonts, which don't have slashes.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

It would probably be easier to type some letters using a suitable extra-bold or black font and then clip some streaky coloured shapes to the letters.

Maybe so, but since the letters are pretty geometrical, it's also not that hard to trace them with the pen tool to fill the gaps. Snapping helps a lot in this case. I know my version is not perfect, but it's just supposed to be a quick example. The hardest part was the letter G because there were so many key points missing and I don't think I got this one right. Anyway, it should be doable.

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 23.42.04.png

Duplicate the text layer
Change the duplicated layer to Impact font (which is a close match for the Insomnia font)
Change colour to red and drag/resize font to cover the original font (line up first and last letters as best as possible)
Drag Red font below original text in Layers panel
Starting on the left tweak character spacing (kerning) on red font to match black font 

May need additional tweaking depending on what characters are used in the final text but an interesting problem none the less

testing.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 hours ago, carl123 said:

Impact font (which is a close match for the Insomnia font)

That’s a good catch! They do look (suspiciously) similar, which means you don’t need to duplicate and line up anything: you can just type in Impact and clip shapes to it as described earlier.

By the way, Impact is included for free with Windows but (as far as I’m aware) not with macOS, so Mac users don’t have the same options here.

Edited by Alfred
Recent versions of macOS include Impact

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

By the way, Impact is included for free with Windows but (as far as I’m aware) not with macOS, so Mac users don’t have the same options here.

FWIW, on my Mac running Catalina, in /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/ I have "Version 5.00x" of Impact regular, which includes 666 glyphs. According to https://support.apple.com/en-il/HT210192 it is included with this version of the macOS.

It works fine in the Affinity apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I presume this doesn’t only apply to Israel!

LOL! No, it was just the first Apple support article that came up when I used Google to search for fonts installed with Catalina. I don't know why it showed me that link instead of https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210192, but there was something about that il result being a 'beta' when I clicked on a 3 vertical dot icon next to the link, part of which said, "The result is in English· This result seems relevant for searches from many regions, including the United States."

So I guess Google may have been doing one of its (in)famous "A-B" tests.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7