You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.18 - RC8 GM3)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer
Mac App Store: Submitted
Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it. Please note that if you use features which are only present in the Beta version then save your document, it will no longer open in the Mac App Store version.

This is a Release Candidate and desperate last minute update build. It is our intention to submit this for review This has been submitted to Apple. We will obviously start adding more features again as soon as this update goes live.

Fixes

- Fix for width/height in Transform panel becoming unruly with Artboard selected
- Fix for overprint in PDF export

Yeah, you are all awesome working super hard on Affinity Designer (and Photo). Really, really appreciated, totally echo ONSO comments, you are doing this The Right Way, agile releases are badass and very cool to see our comments get into the pipeline and be reflected in the updates so quickly!

:)  :D  :)

THANK YOU

- JA

This is all great, but unfortunately I still cannot used your software which I bought months ago. I cannot work with a software for graphic design which doesn't have a properly working eyedropper tool and a shortcut attached to it. Could you please tell me how long do I need to wait for it? Is there any solution that I'm not aware of? 

I still use Adobe Illustrator for everything and I cannot see myself switching to Affinity Designer anytime soon even though I paid for it... I must admit I hoped that this is going to be something that will give Adobe guys headaches, but what I see is that you're working hard on new features, but completely ignored the basics. Being able to use eyedropper tool instantly with one click is absolutely essential without a doubt.

I don't even mention something like recolour tool... I guess recolouring a complex artwork with hundreds of objects would take enormous amount of time given the tools we have available now in Designer.

All best

I cannot work with a software for graphic design which doesn't have a properly working eyedropper tool and a shortcut attached to it.

The eyedropper/color selector (these are actually two separate tools/functionalities) in Fireworks is really useful, in my opinion. You can even select colors outside of the application/window. That might be worth to draw inspiration from.

Hi waveman777, not that this is a total fix for you but for me, as I was bugged by the eyedropper function as well starting out I do like the >copy from one object then command>shift>v to another object to inherit the original objects attributes, colour and effects workflow. This saved me from a world of frustration. I do find the eyedropper behaviour a bit awkward currently, but I think, I hope, some of these basics will be refined once the initial feature push has quieted down.

While I find Designer's colouring, shading, effects toolset second to none, very good and more than adequate, I am still finding some of the basic pen tool drawing and path creating workflow not fully baked yet. ;) I do have hope though, and I appreciate Affinity's focus on the overall feature set right now to satisfy the exporting and artboard workflow. 

Hang in there... the other guys had a 30 year head start.  :)

Another bug with nudging. Copy-drag an object from one artboard to another and the object doesn’t get moved in the layer panel unless you change it’s position again. Or nudge it but if you do that it resets back to invisible state.

Artboard snapping to objects ain’t working at all.

And still get a lot of artboard tearing artifacts & flickering when zooming.

Sorry but those betas have some serious issues. It seems you guys just want to release it for the sake of releasing something this year.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Hi waveman777, not that this is a total fix for you but for me, as I was bugged by the eyedropper function as well starting out I do like the >copy from one object then command>shift>v to another object to inherit the original objects attributes, colour and effects workflow. This saved me from a world of frustration. I do find the eyedropper behaviour a bit awkward currently, but I think, I hope, some of these basics will be refined once the initial feature push has quieted down.

While I find Designer's colouring, shading, effects toolset second to none, very good and more than adequate, I am still finding some of the basic pen tool drawing and path creating workflow not fully baked yet. ;) I do have hope though, and I appreciate Affinity's focus on the overall feature set right now to satisfy the exporting and artboard workflow. 

Hang in there... the other guys had a 30 year head start.  :)

I totally understand your point and I'm aware of the fact that Adobe's been here for quite some time, therefore I'm not asking Affinity guys to add or refine most advanced functionalities. I need basic tools to work decently so I can start using Designer as an alternative to Illustrator. The colour picker tool is there, so the functionality is also there. All needs to be done for the time being is to add a shortcut to it so I don't need to waste time dragging the tool across the screen. I believe this isn't something that require much work, but is simply ignored.

What's the point in adding more functions if people cannot use the software due to lack of basic ones? My frustration comes from the fact that I bought a software for graphic designers, and I cannot use it because I don't have a shortcut to colour picker. It's kinda like... adding a rear spoiler to a car that doesn't have a wheel. 

retrograde, yes the cmd + shift + V works well in some instances but most times I spend so long turning off any fx and gradient that was in the original shape that any color picker works faster.  If the cmd + shift + V allowed the user to select which attribute to copy, then it would really be a useful feature.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Sent a AD file that exports PDF with artifacts.

And see attached movie showing 2 more bugs. And don’t forget about the one where you can move the artboard if there is no object on it and not having the artboard tool activated.

Bugs.mov

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

• Staff

Thanks :) The last bug you mention is deliberate - hopefully it should help when you start laying out your artboards that you can select them whenever they have no children. Photoshop works the same, if I remember correctly? Matt

Thanks :) The last bug you mention is deliberate - hopefully it should help when you start laying out your artboards that you can select them whenever they have no children. Photoshop works the same, if I remember correctly? Matt

Matt, I can already select an artboard to move it by click-drag it’s name. But moving the artboard with Move Tool it’s just confusing, not helpful.

Vlad

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

• Staff

Hi AshTeriyaki,

We are aware of this. Thanks for your report.

The same issue about not being able to select multiple nodes using the marquee exists in RC8 as it did in RC7

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15503-affinity-designer-customer-beta-13517-rc7-gm2/page-2

A ctrl reset did not clear the problem.

This issue is already logged to be looked at.

I've been getting a lot of crashes with this latest beta when I try to use the history feature.  Most times I'm just trying to use Command Z and Shift Command Z and it crashes.  Other times, I've tried to use the history slider.  I will capture the crash file next time and send it.  I was testing the beta program in my production environment but I had to open the MAS version after the beta crashed twice.  Not reliable enough for me to make the switch just yet.

• Staff

I've been getting a lot of crashes with this latest beta when I try to use the history feature.  Most times I'm just trying to use Command Z and Shift Command Z and it crashes.  Other times, I've tried to use the history slider.  I will capture the crash file next time and send it.  I was testing the beta program in my production environment but I had to open the MAS version after the beta crashed twice.  Not reliable enough for me to make the switch just yet.

If you can remember the thing you try to undo, that would be useful. :)

If you can remember the thing you try to undo, that would be useful. :)

I have a template that I always use.  Basically, it has one layer that I use as a background, a graphics layer, text layer and a border layer.  All that I had done was change the color of the background from white to blue and the text from blue to white (reversed from what it was created as.  I pressed command z rapidly to go back to the starting point and it crashed.  Attached is the crash report.

Just noticed that it does it with MAS version as well. 

I have sent a copy of my template to support@serriflabs.com for your review

Crash Report.rtf

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.