You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem in Publisher with diacritics on characters

I wonder if anyone could solve this. I am laying up a book which has Sanskrit characters with a roman translation underneath. I am coping from a word file and pasted into Publisher.

What's happening is the characters are changing when pasted, I attach an example. I have tried formatting the original word file, making it all Times New Roman and 13pt. I cannot remove all the formatting as I need some of it. In the past I had trouble with pasting characters with diacritic marks, they used to show up as box characters.
I then just went over them and replaced as necessary.

This problem is different and I am scratching my head.
I am sure someone has already figured this out?

Notice how the long 'a' had been substituted for a capitol long 'O'
This is consistent throughout the book and it’s highly annoying.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Andrew :-)

Sample 1.jpg

Sample 2.jpg

Here are the files. I hope this is what is wanted.

When you open the .pub file it says there are 2 missing fonts, these are then converted to Sanskrit 2003 and Times New Roman.

I have tried a few ways but when the text is imported into AfPub it still swaps out some letters.
This problem appears throughout the book, every batch of text with discritic marks usually has some errors when placed into Publisher. 

Any thoughts?

Diacritic sample.afpub Diacritic sample.docx

Hi,

I do a fair amount of work in English and Persian, and I use diacritics for, for example, long vowels such as ā. Times New Roman (the standard version on Mac) should work, and if I copy and paste into a new text box on the afpub file you supplied it does work:

465813637_Screenshot2022-01-05at14_02_49.png.265ced1124587ed4d940a87949e0d45c.png

The font you are using is not standard Times New Roman:

1400275671_Screenshot2022-01-05at14_02_18.png.b5e9013065a750a2f11dc1739469182f.png

I opened the docx file you provided in Apple Pages, and it shows as Times New Roman. So somehow you have altered that font to Times New Roman Baltic... in the afpub file.

1 hour ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Follow up: I see that you are using Windows. Times New Roman (the standard version) should work there too.

1878892978_sample2.thumb.jpg.a4fcacdb4ed655f6d5e7a02fbd46d3ae.jpgYes, window I’m afraid.  

So I see its showing (? Times New Roman Baltic) when I paste it into AfPub, but if I highlight the text and convert into Times New Roman it staying the same.
Why would that be? See attached.

Could it be the way the software is set up?202196058_sample1.jpg.974436a4af8e65dba5082b6c78a65ba1.jpg

I don't even have TNR Baltic installed where is that coming from?

Thank you for your assistance, very much appreciated.

Andrew

3 minutes ago, netera said:

but if I highlight the text and convert into Times New Roman it staying the same.

That's because you have already lost the character you wanted - the Ō exists in Times New Roman, so converting it from Times New Roman Baltic to Times New Roman doesn't change anything.

In your Word document, does the text formatting show the transliteration as Times New Roman? If yes, copy it, and open a new text box in APub, and paste it there. What happens? Show a partial screen shot like I am showing below.

In your example document, I have the cursor on the transliteration. This is what I see in the text styles panel. Note the 'Baltic':

2111411019_Screenshot2022-01-05at15_20_25.png.54757998a8c1369692a5987d4be3805d.png

Somehow you have used Times New Roman Baltic in this document, and I presume that is not what you want?

It's not a problem with the software. You have configured this somehow! 

Yes, I am getting the same.

I don'teven have Baltic installed, where is that coming from, very odd.

How do I remove that so that when it pasted its going to display as Times New Roman?
Is there a set up panel to erase this and add Times New Roman?

I have not attached a pic as I have the same as you in my Text Styles panel, so at least that is good news.

Andrew

8 minutes ago, netera said:

How do I remove that so that when it pasted its going to display as Times New Roman?

A couple of things. 

1. Highlight the transliteration, and change the font style in to something else other than [No Style]. I presume you don't want it set to [No Style].
  2. Open Document/Font Manager and see if you still have any entries for Times New Roman Baltic. (I did notice that you also using Arial Unicode MS Western rather than Arial Unicode MS, which I don't have).

I just copied the original text in word and pasted it into another blank word file and removed its formatting.

It reverted to Calibri, the font I use as standard in Word.
I then pasted this into AfPub (into a new doc).
It kept 'Calabri' as its style but in Text Styles says Calibri Baltic!

What on earth is Baltic??? It seems to be added to the style.
I'll take a look on-line.

A.

Hi there, it’s not so much retained diacritics as substituting the wrong letter, so the character should be a long 'a' but instead it’s a long capital 'O'.

Not sure what you mean? (EDIT: Also, Times New Roman (Baltic), which is just miisinterpreation, is gone and the pasted text is just "Times New Roman".)

How does one edit Baltic out?
Looking on line it seems there is a Times New Roman Baltic Free Font.
BUT I don't even have this installed.

A.

Can you try this:

1. Copy the sample text from your Word document.
  2. Create a new text box in APub.
  3. From the menu Edit/Paste Inside.

What happens then? How does the text appear in the new text box?

I don't know where this Baltic is coming from. It can't be ignored though as it does/will show as a Preflight error.

It pastes the same, still says 'Baltic' in the Text Styles panel.

The original word file was typed on a Mac in the US.

Is there some weird formatting attached to the text.
As I have been flowing the pages its really glitchy in AfPub...........

A.

I can't reproduce this. I opened the docx you provided in both Pages and LibreOffice. If I copy the text and paste it into new text boxes I get Times New Roman and the correct diacritics. If I open the docx in Office online the text shows as Times New Roman.

You can substitute the text from TNR Baltic to TNR, however that won't help you with the copying and pasting - it is at this stage that the error is occurring.

Do you happen to have another word processor available that can open docx files, e.g. LibreOffice? 

1 hour ago, netera said:

Not sure what you mean? (EDIT: Also, Times New Roman (Baltic), which is just miisinterpreation, is gone and the pasted text is just "Times New Roman".)

I meant this:

I am not sure what actually causes this. Pasting as Unicode also seems to be character based so it does not support formatting, so therefore the additional steps with styles.

If you use Word files just for sources for collecting data, I would place them directly in Publisher via File > Place (on the pasteboard, off the page) and then copy paste the required parts in the final text from there, as that would keep both the formatting and correct Unicode encoding.

This would take too long as there are too many instances.
But I'm sure that would be OK as I have essentially done that when correcting.

The other method suggested by pasting special worked, so for now that would appear to be the best move.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Very much appreciated. I've been using Publisher for ages and love it to bits, and seldom need to consult the experts, but it’s nice to have help as I learn!

Andrew 🙂

12 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

I meant this:

I am not sure what actually causes this. Pasting as Unicode also seems to be character based so it does not support formatting, so therefore the additional steps with styles.

If you use Word files just for sources for collecting data, I would place them directly in Publisher via File > Place (on the pasteboard, off the page) and then copy paste the required parts in the final text from there, as that would keep both the formatting and correct Unicode encoding.

FAB! This works. It solves the problem so that gets me off the hook!

Thank you so much, you're a star!

Andrew 🙂

I seem to have another issue with the same text, I'd not noticed - was concentrating on the roman script with discritics, but it seems the Sanskrit is being changed when I use the EDIT>PASTE SPECIAL>UNICODE function.

I'll have to gop back and change what I've done as its all wrong - I should have checked 😞

Any ideas why this text is being changed. In the original Word file its Arial Unicode MS, as is the pasted text in Publisher.
I have no font substituition set up. Thanks in advance and sorry to bother again.

Andrew

Sanskrit.afpub Sanskrit.docx

I am no expert and know practically nothing about writing in Sanskrit, but when I tested this with InDesign, I first get the same as in Publisher, but when I enable World Tools and World Ready Composition (a free InDesign tool, which is needed to be able to lay out e.g. Japanese and Arabic texts), get the same as in Word. It might be that it is not possible to use Publisher to get Sanskrit correctly laid out (at least with Arial Unicode MS), but I hope someone proves me wrong.