You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher shutting down unexpectedly and losing all my work

I was working on the book in Affinity Publisher and the app kept shutting down unexpectedly. This has happened to me in the past now and then, but I was always able to reopen the doc without any problems in the recover file without losing any work, so I kept opening the recover file and continued editing. However, when I tried to open it this time, something went wrong. It opened and then the program shut down immediately and did this every time I reopen the doc. I finally rebooted my Mac and got it to open and I started working on file again but lost ALL the work I had done for the entire day. Then after working on the doc again, I  tried to save it and got this message: 

Failed to load document: My Grandfather's Story 1:3
Access to the document file was lost while performing initial loading.
The document must now be closed.

My only choice was to close and reopen the doc. Now every time I reopen the file and make any changes and try to save or save as, I get the same above message when I try to save the doc. I'm afraid all my work is corrupted and will be lost or not print right. 

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I have been working of this book for over 6 months. I'm sickened by all the lost editing I did today!

• Staff

Is your document stored locally or on an external drive or cloud storage? If the same is happening with a recovered file, this may indicate some file corruption has occurred during loading/saving. If Save or Save As is producing the same message, you may need to try to export to another file type instead, such as PDF to then bring back in.

Do you have separate backups of the file that you can revert to that aren't based on any current recovered files that may have the same issue?

On 1/11/2022 at 3:47 PM, Lee D said:

If Save or Save As is producing the same message

FWIW, there is a known & logged/tagged issue (afd-4092) with Save As: If in Separated Mode "Save As…" + same file name ("Replace") causes a reproducable crash (without a message). The issue still occurs in Beta v1.10.5.1214.

Could you explain the message / the process of Saving a bit more? I wonder why an opened .afpub – which got opened + modified successfully (no issue/message) – needs to get loaded again for a Save action. Didn't this respectively "initial loading" happen when opening the file? And, if connection was lost, aren't all data still available in the opened file / the RAM to be used for Save and therefore would not need to close the document? – Also, I experienced in some cases, even after this message the .afpub has been saved successfully / opens fine when re-opened.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks for the reply Thomaso,

The only thing I can tell you is what I  posted on Jan, 6 below. I'm not sure how, but somehow I got the doc to save properly, and I'm not getting the message . You lost me on your question 🤷‍♂️. I did lose all the editing I did that day and have no idea what happened. I think my problem is that I only have 8 GB RAM. I had several programs running at the same time I was using afpub. I'm upping my RAM to 32 GB and have closed all the programs running except afpub. I'm thinking increasing the RAM will help. The only thing I can tell you about "Could you explain the message / the process of Saving a bit more" is below. I'm no longer getting message below and have no idea what happened or how the error it got corrected. I'm just not that computer savvy. 

Posted January 4

I was working on the book in Affinity Publisher and the app kept shutting down unexpectedly. This has happened to me in the past now and then, but I was always able to reopen the doc without any problems in the recover file without losing any work, so I kept opening the recover file and continued editing. However, when I tried to open it this time, something went wrong. It opened and then the program shut down immediately and did this every time I reopen the doc. I finally rebooted my Mac and got it to open and I started working on file again but lost ALL the work I had done for the entire day. Then after working on the doc again, I  tried to save it and got this message: 

Failed to load document: My Grandfather's Story 1:3
Access to the document file was lost while performing initial loading.
The document must now be closed.

My only choice was to close and reopen the doc. Now every time I reopen the file and make any changes and try to save or save as, I get the same above message when I try to save the doc. I'm afraid all my work is corrupted and will be lost or not print right. 

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I have been working of this book for over 6 months. I'm sickened by all the lost editing I did today!