You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Have some profound an issues with Affinity Photo's soft proofing implementation colour management implementation. One Two major main draw backs that makes Affinty Photo almost useless to me (sorry to say)  :

1. While working with wide gamut colour spaces it is not possible to export the work in another colour space since the export function does not convert the colours to the designated colour space but only replaces the colour profile (what's the use???). This is very very cumbersome. When I want to keep wide gamut in my project file and export my work in - for example - sRGB colour space for web publishing, I now have to make a copy of the original project, save it, convert it to sRGB colour space, export (and then delete the converted project to save disk space). It is crazy.

My apologies I did something wrong since I could not reproduce.

From the help pages:

"By default, this is set to the ICC profile of the project (document). However, the project's ICC profile can be overwritten for this export area. Select from the pop-up menu."

Suggestion for the help pages (Export Settings, Multi-format settings, ICC profile):

"By default, this is set to the ICC profile of the project (document). However, the export can be converted to a colour space of choice. Select from the pop-up menu."

2.  Soft proofing wide Gamut images (i.e. AdobeRGB) with sRGB colour profile does not work either (it does work well with other colour spaces such as print colour spaces but it does certainly not with sRGB colour space: all the out of sRGB gamma colours are still clearly visible, in fact nothting changes).

Moreover my (fast) PC (Intel i8700) often slows down and becomes very sluggish (to unacceptable levels) or just crashes when soft proofing.

I have been fairly enthuisastic about Affinity Photo but it crashes or slows down too often (also with small projects with only a few layers) when soft proofing and the basics (colour management) is very poorly implemented (as mentioned above).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Maarten,

I can't seem to recreate the issue you are seeing with the soft proofing adjustment here at my end, if possible could you provide a screen recording demonstrating the problem? In regards to your PC slowing down please could you go to into the apps preferences and provide a screenshot of the performance tab so I can see which settings you are using?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 11:32 AM, Maarten Langeveld said:

Although the Gamut check in the softproof adjustment layer clearly indicates the out of gamut area's, the screen colours in those area's remain the same.

Why would you expect them to change? The Soft Proof Adjustment does not by itself change any colors. It just previews how the image would look with different proofing profiles.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Its frustrating this hasn't been addressed. Those of us who print and display on line need to be able to compare colour spaces easily. Softproofing seems to work for my printer profiles but not sRGB.   I do wonder if the Affinity devs are only running sRGB monitors.

2 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

Softproofing seems to work for my printer profiles but not sRGB.

Which sRGB profile(s) do you have installed on your system? What happens when you try using one in a soft proof adjustment layer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

Which sRGB profile(s) do you have installed on your system? What happens when you try using one in a soft proof adjustment layer?

sRGB IEC61966-2.1. My monitor allows multiple calibrations and I have one set to sRGB so for me its not a real drama.

1 minute ago, RichardMH said:

sRGB IEC61966-2.1. My monitor allows multiple calibrations and I have one set to sRGB so for me its not a real drama.

What happens when you create a soft proof adjustment using that sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile? What should it look like vs. how it does now?

Affinity Photo 

Just now, RichardMH said:

Nothing happens, except the gamut warning if its on.

So what would you expect to happen?

Affinity Photo 

Just now, RichardMH said:

I expect t o see an image in sRGB colour space.

Isn't it already in that color space? Do you have an example file you could post for this?

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Maarten Langeveld

Maarten Langeveld said: ..Soft proofing wide Gamut images (i.e. AdobeRGB) with sRGB colour profile does not work either (it does work well with other colour spaces such as print colour spaces but it does certainly not with sRGB colour space: all the out of sRGB gamma colours are still clearly visible, in fact nothting changes..

In the Adobe forum, you will find an interesting comment made by an expert in this area.
Andrew Rodney author of "Color Management for Photographers"  he says:
"If you have an Adobe RGB (1998) document and you soft proof to sRGB, OR you convert to sRGB, the results should visually be the same."
Andrew Rodney Author of "Color Management for Photographers" Source: Adobe forums

You can read a paper that he wrote on AdobeRGB and sRGB color space and why people get confused when comparing these color spaces.
Link below.
Color Numbers and Color Gamut by Andrew Rodney author of "Color  Management for Photographers"
http://digitaldog.net/files/ColorNumbersColorGamut.pdf

PixelEngineer,

Are you a member of Affinity staff? If so that let's me rethink my choice for Affinity.

There is a requirement from more than one user which should be taken seriously just because of that.

You're wrong in telling us that softproof is ONLY print related, though this was the origin and the major use case BEFORE wide gamut monitors easilty available and excessive distribution of photographs over the web.

And the help file you linked doesn't say anything about print either, instead it says what any decent internet source says:

Soft Proof adjustment

Preview the effect of creating an output for a specific color space or device.

Also, your proposed workaround to export a file is far from being a preview and not up to the task to allow for live adjustments to an image before exporting.